Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be dropping my 302 in my 73 with hooker comp headers and a T-5. Can in put the headers on before dropping the engine in? It would be alot easier considering there is a lot more room outside the engine compartment. I saw a guy dropped a stroked windsor with a TKO tranny and headers in a late '60s mustang. And i know the 73 is much bigger, and the 302 is much smaller. I should be able to make it work if im careful right?

I never got a good answer. Just header gaskets, High temp sealent and gaskets, or just high temp sealent? thanks

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
It's really hard to say.This is something you can't normally do but you might be able to in that car...If not you might be able to put one header on and drop it in that way...Another trick is to lay the headers into the engine compartment before you drop in the engine...You can even lower the engine almost in and then do up the headers while you still have some extra room.....When it comes to headers there are no definite answers..

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
I left my headers in the engine compartment laying against the shock towers when I put my new engine in. Its pretty easy and if you leave them unconnected to the exhaust system its easy to move them around if the engine gets caught on them. BTW I have a 67 mustang with a 302.

·
Registered
317 Posts
It wouldn't have fit on my 69. Maybe different on a 73. I had to put mine up from the bottom after the motor was in place.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts