Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure how to put my door glass into the regulator securely. There are two aluminum channels attached to the regulator but the gap is huge in them and looking at the other side window which is installed, all I can tell is that it looks like they were epoxied in ?

Any tips or tricks that you can offer?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Its been a while since I changed the glass in my 71 but I belive it had tacky tape in the channel. I think it was tight quarters working in there. I'm not sure if 68 and 71 are the same but it seems there was a bolt that went through the window on the 71. Maybe two. I have an old door I'll take a look after noon.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I just replaced the regulator in my passenger door. I had the benefit of taking the window apart, and having the fsm. The glass is glued to the aluminum brackets. I used 3M window-weld. It's real messy, but has held up.

Click on the image below, and follow the caption.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I missed this last one, diagrams are worth a thousand words for me. I'm going to have to track down one of those manuals...

·
Registered
370 Posts
Instructions are good, but I've never seen one that includes the measurements of exactly *where* to place the metal brackets at the bottom. I would take careful measurements off your old glass first. That's how I did mine when they worked loose. And they always work loose.

Also, I used some 3M epoxy, stuff is usually used to glue in newer windshields, that works. You'll want to allow it to set up for a day or so before putting back in the car. Also, pay attention to the angle that the lower bracket is installed to the glass. Get this wrong and the window is liable to "tip out" at the top, instead of in towards the rubber seals. BTDT.

It's worth mentioning that I've been through this several times with my Ranchero. Keep you eye out for '69 Ranchero glass. Ford finally got smart and used bolt on lower metal brackets. MUCH, much better than the glue on.

Hope this helps!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts