Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 289 with a c4 it has the small bell housing know i was thinking of installing a 351 c in my 65 stang does anyone know what tranny i need or can i use my tranny and what bell housing will it need ? help please

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
as long as your 289 has the 6 bolt bell the 351c will bolt right up to it,same engine mounts too.i cant say what sort of room you are going to have between the towers for headers etc,but someone here will let you know what issues youll have there.

·
Registered
231 Posts
A 351C is a tight fit especially on the right side. If the shock towers have rotated towards each other, at all, it will not fit. You will have to get a monte carlo bar and move the shock towers out to where the bar fits in.
There is one company in the U.S. that makes headers for that engine/chasis combination. They are called Tubular Automotive located in Mass. I think they are in Rockville, Mass. I probably have the address somewhere, as far as I know they don ot have a web-site. If you already have the cleveland engine it makes a nice combo, but I wouldn't go buy a cleveland just to put in an early mustang. I would do a 331 or 347 to get the cubes in a smaller package. You have to jack the engine up to change the plugs on the right side with a cleveland in the early stang.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I m installing a heidts ifs front suspension just ordered it the 351c is rebuilt and complete for 1400. know i called on those headers they run 499.99 at summit racing but do i still need them?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
My thought is we did this for a friend and he had hard time locating coil springs, for the Cleveland engine is heavier too. We bumped around for few months until they were located and installed.

Wm.

·
Registered
865 Posts
There is a better company making better swap headers.

ford power train 4v headers will fit the 65/6 chassis with stock shock towers.

I've run both tubular and fpt and recommend the fpt. Additionally the tubular auto cross under the oil pan and delete the front cross member...not something I particularly cared for.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dodgestang on 11/22/06 10:04am ]</font>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts