Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 40 of 114 Posts

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
I took it for a spin last night. All I can say is it is like night and day the way that thing shift.

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Cool, eh? Just by making minor adjustments or a flip of a switch (depending on the controller), you can make it shift so hard it will take your teeth out, or so soft it's like Granny's stocker. An AOD-E with upgrades, 4R70W, or 4R75W with the famous "J-mods" outlined by Jerry Wroblewsky (Ford engineer that was part of design and testing) and a good controller - it's so solid and fast they don't even get any handicap for class racing against manual transmissions like autos used to.

Yeah, some stick-shift guys get pretty riled-up when you show them how these autos can be faster and more consistent on the strip than a manual. You simply can't shift any more accurately than a computer. But, if you want to "row" it down the road with the shifter, you can still do that too. ;)

David

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
The controllers are pretty cool. I had the shop put in Alto red eagle clutch packs with kolene steels. I am using the US Shift controller. Nice that I can control the shift points. And can flip a switch and have a totally different pattern. I did not do the j mod. I have heard about it though. I have my trans set according to their normal shift pattern and was surprised. I am running a 2500 stall. Normal acceleration it shifts nice and smooth. Get on it at half throttle wow. To the floor hold on. Haven't programed in the aggressive shift pattern yet. Going to be interesting.

Larry

·
Registered
34 Posts
Love the article. Thanks. I am putting a 4R70W behind a new mustang 5.0 in a 67 Galaxie. I haven't gotten to the wiring yet, but I was able to use the original crossmember and mount with no modifications. Even the 46 year old bolts screwed right in to the 4R. Now I am trying to figure out how to use the column shifter to select the gear. It looks like I will be able to use most of the original parts and make an adapter plate.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Let me know how it works. I need to put just the arm on my trans so I can get the detentes to line up on my MegaShifter.

Larry

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Let me know how it works. I need to put just the arm on my trans so I can get the detentes to line up on my MegaShifter.

Larry
Larry did you see the arm I made up? That is what I had to do to get my Hurst shifter to match up. A little trial and error but not too bad.

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Another option for adapting column or floor shifters of any compatible kind is the Lokar ATA-1004 shift arm for the AODE, 4R70W, or 4R75W. About $50 online.

David

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Larry did you see the arm I made up? That is what I had to do to get my Hurst shifter to match up. A little trial and error but not too bad.
Iwantmore,

I saw your bracket. I used the aod racket off of my last trans. ir does not line up exactly but it works. just need to pay attention to where it is at. Should be fine for a while. I may switch over to a winters sidewinder / art carr shifter in the future. for now it works for me. I am not planning on banging the gears anyway. Just stomp and go.

Larry

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Another option for adapting column or floor shifters of any compatible kind is the Lokar ATA-1004 shift arm for the AODE, 4R70W, or 4R75W. About $50 online.

David

David this is what I was going to use. but it puts my shift arm lower than my pan. So it will not work with what I need it to do. My car is pretty low and I don't want to hit the ground with my shifter. form what I understand the Winters sidewinder will work with my trans for what I need it to do. May make a custom console to mount it in my car. I want it to look somewhat stock looking.

Larry

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
You use what you need and cut off the rest. The arm length to match your shifter is whatever it is. It can't be shorter, and it does not have to be longer. I'm not pushing for you to use this option, just saying that a downward arm for a "push-to-Park" floor shifter has to be a certain length no matter what. Just cut off the excess. The only alternative with that style shifter is to run a longer cable around from the front and bracket it to the bellhousing, to use an "up" shift arm. That's probably what I'll do on the next project with a floor-mount gate shifter I have.

David

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
You use what you need and cut off the rest. The arm length to match your shifter is whatever it is. It can't be shorter, and it does not have to be longer. I'm not pushing for you to use this option, just saying that a downward arm for a "push-to-Park" floor shifter has to be a certain length no matter what. Just cut off the excess. The only alternative with that style shifter is to run a longer cable around from the front and bracket it to the bellhousing, to use an "up" shift arm. That's probably what I'll do on the next project with a floor-mount gate shifter I have.

David

David,

Maybe the "up" shift arm is the answer. I will have to look into it. Thanks for the info. :)

Larry

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hello
Been reading this article, very informative.
I just bought a 62 Country Sedan, (Galaxie), going to use my
351c with the 4r
Just bought my 4r yesterday, 2001 with 77K miles on it...
from a Ford only wreaking yard in Wilmington, Ca
and Manny the owner was very polite, I even got another $25 off.
He was asking $300 plus core charge, I ended up paying 325.
Might be a little Hi but this is LA county CAl...I had already been
to a pick a part, they wanted $150, plus another $45 for the wireing
harness.. I got the wireing harness and filler tube with dip stick inlcuded.
So I"m happy
next I'm going out this morning and pwr wash the case, then drain
any fluid it might have, then remvoe pan and change the filter.
I am debating which way to go either a floor shift or column,
I know that I'm putting bucket seats in the wagon, out of a 2004
sebring, was going into my 77 Ranchero..but thats over...
If I go column, why can't I use a cable from a crown vic
and use the gear locater from the column?
Since I have both the engine and trans out of the car, I can adjust
the headers for clearance, now, as for the tranny support will need to
wait until I get in installed. Also I bought motor mounts for
a 64 Galaxie, w\289 which seems to be the recommended option,
I think I still need to make a plate for the acutal block. will see
how the fit is...
Best
Dave

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi Larry
I'm going with the Baumann
$425, but I'm using the wiring harness that came with the 4r.
already pinned out the harness and the Baumann will follow...
they use to include the wiring harness for the $700 price, but
now you need to buy it seperate. Also I was told they got to
many service calls when guys tried to do the wiring themselfs.
Its pretty stright forward, if you just think of it for a minute...
I am sure that by now thousands of these swaps have been done
and yet the info is still lacking...
"Iwantmore" did a great job but left things out, not his fault
but he was building this setup need to step back and look at
from a distance. I'm still a little confused on what flex plate to use
what spacer to use, and what about the starter, do you need one
from the same type of car you got the tranny out of or?
My starter from my 351c I hope will work, also the block and
flex plate will all work, 164 teeth 28oz
those are some concerns I still have, still need the correct yoke,
but my local pick a part has 3 of these V6 4r sitting in the truck lot.
just bought 4 gallons of Mercon $11.50 a gallon...
Best

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
I'm going with the Baumann $425, but I'm using the wiring harness that came with the 4r.already pinned out the harness and the Baumann will follow...
they use to include the wiring harness for the $700 price, but now you need to buy it separate. Also I was told they got too many service calls when guys tried to do the wiring themselves. Its pretty straight forward, if you just think of it for a minute... I am sure that by now thousands of these swaps have been done and yet the info is still lacking...
I also do my own harnesses, and I understand what they mean by problems, as there are different connectors and wiring schemes across the years. The customer goes oops, and Baumann gets the blame most of the time I bet. Even if the customers are understanding, it's still hours on the phone to fix it by remote control.
I'm still a little confused on what flex plate to use
what spacer to use,
Flexplate - 164-tooth C4/C5/AOD/AODE/4R70/etc., with the balance you need.
and what about the starter, do you need one from the same type of car you got the tranny out of or?
Any small-block or Cleveland 164-T automatic trans starter. If you want the geared Ford mini-starter :tup:, use the one off any '92~'95 to '03 5.8, 5.0, 4.2 or 3.8 trucks/cars.
still need the correct yoke,
The 4R70 has a thick-wall yoke with a 1330 U-joint. If you need a smaller 1310 U-joint (and do not want to use a 5-134X adapter joint), then swap the tail shaft housing for an E0 AOD version (of the correct length for your 4R) that uses the thinner C4/AOD/T5 style yoke.
just bought 4 gallons of Mercon $11.50 a gallon...
Best
Be aware, Mercon is rated for 1997 and older clutches in these things. 1998+ must use Mercon V synthetic spec fluid. Where did you get the deal on the fluid?

David

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
PSIG is the man to listen to. He is very knowledgeable about this stuff.

I didn't know that we could use mini starters from a different year vehicle. Is there an advantage to using the mini starters?

Larry

21 - 40 of 114 Posts