Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

81 - 100 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I picked up a 2001 4R70W out of a V6 Mustang and had it rebuilt with the Alto Red Power Pack clutch kits, to put into my 86 Mustang GT. Should I still use the Mercon V fluid with the Alto Red Clutches or standard Dexron/Mercon fluid?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'd run Redline D4 ATF, It covers grounds for Dextron and Mercon specs.

For everyone else thats running a US Shift control. Do you have any surge issues when lettings off throttle in 4th? How are you adjusting your curve? I love this transmission however haven't really adjusted the program much.

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
I picked up a 2001 4R70W out of a V6 Mustang and had it rebuilt with the Alto Red Power Pack clutch kits, to put into my 86 Mustang GT. Should I still use the Mercon V fluid with the Alto Red Clutches or standard Dexron/Mercon fluid?
I'm interested to hear what others and Alto have to say. IMO, the clutches should have best grip, and that would be with MD3 (Mercon/Dex III) or stickier. However, the Mercon V spec is to cure TC lockup shudder. I run MD3 in mine, and am considering AW hydro fluid for testing on the next fluid change. I have a firm and quick lockup setting to avoid shudder, as well as locking in 2nd gear on the street, and although I like it myself, it would not be a nice setting for a limousine. I also don't care about or allow lockup over 80% throttle with a stock-style TC, so that's not an issue for me either. If you have a racing converter (big clutch or multi-disc), and lock at WOT, I would ask them for a recommendation.

My settings would not be useful as my controller is modified, uses manifold pressure instead of throttle position, and caters to a fast curve relative to torque instead of rpm.

David

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
I am running Alto clutches in mine. I am using full synthetic in my trans.
Not having any surge issues when letting off the throttle.

I adjust the shift pattern based on rpm recommended for my cam. My cam poops out around 5600 rpm, so I set my shift points around 5400 rpm.

Larry

·
Registered
89 Posts
Do I need to wire up the ignition wire and neutral safety wires? I already have this done on my shifter. Do I need to run them?

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Do I need to wire up the ignition wire and neutral safety wires? I already have this done on my shifter. Do I need to run them?
If your shifter is already operating REV lights and NSS, then no. Verify the minimum wiring required by your controller, which is different for carb or EFI. And, start a new thread about your swap with lots of photos. :tup:

David

·
Registered
89 Posts
If your shifter is already operating REV lights and NSS, then no. Verify the minimum wiring required by your controller, which is different for carb or EFI. And, start a new thread about your swap with lots of photos. :tup:

David
I'll be adding photos to my build thread. So far ive got the tranny mounted, headers modified,and built the wiring harness. Still need to get the linkage fabbed up and measure how much i need my driveshaft shortened. Then I need to modify my exhaust or just take it down and have a new system made

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just wanted to post here for people that are contemplating the 4R70W swap. This is absolutely the best modifications for the drive-ability and enjoyment of my car. It launches harder due to the lower first gear yet once you get in 4th and the torque converter locks up whether it be at 45 or 75 the experience is enjoyable since the motor isn't revving to the moon. Low line pressure at low throttle gives you soft shifts but then full line pressure and high throttle breaks the tires loose. Definitely recommend it

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Are you using the USShift controller? It sure does make quite a difference doesn't it. It did a lot for my 4500 lb sled. Much more responsive now.

Larry

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes I'm using the US Shift controller. Didn't take too much tuning to get it to where I want it. Did have a problem with line pressure at idle being too low to keep 4th engaged and after an hour on the phone with Baumann we figured out that was the problem and lowered the EPC voltage at idle. He said ford used 2 different springs for the EPC and i must have had the lighter spring

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
He said ford used 2 different springs for the EPC and i must have had the lighter spring
Interesting. Did they say how to tell which is which by any chance? Curiosity - what were your settings before and after?

David

·
Registered
89 Posts
He said that he never could figure out which models came with which spring. Mine was a 2003 V6 mustang. EPC current at idle is 125 on all his preprogrammed tunes. I turned in down to 100 and all is well.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi all
Did you look into the MSD stand alone controller?
I know there are at least 5 makes on the market, probably
more I was reading up on the MSD version last night.
I have a 4r70 in my 62, not to the point of buying a controller yet
One thing that pisses me is that most of the time you need to buy
the cable extra, like what are you going to do with the controller without
the cables, and they are asking $$.
Most of us could use our existing cable I think if they gave us
the pin outs and the connector number...
BTW the MSD sells for $600 at summitracing

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
I built my own harness. Didn't want to pay the 125 for a couple wires
Yeah, I did the same, and USShift had no problem sending me the terminal pins and connectors to make my own at no charge. The pin-outs are in the instruction manual. Didn't take long to make a controller harness from a factory plug and wires hacked from an unknown model ($15 at the 'yard) and a $20 ratchet terminal crimper.

Dave, if you are the DIY type also, don't forget that you don't need any controller to shift and lockup a 4R70W. The only bummer is that it's manual-only, and always at 'max' pressure, which makes for very firm shifts. You may be interested in an inexpensive 'race/performance' controller coming along this Fall (?) for about half the MSD price, giving auto shifts, programmable shift points, and variable load/pressure control. I'll let you know any updates I hear from the dungeon... ;)

David

·
Registered
644 Posts
PSIG: I'd be interested about that new controller when you know more.
When you say it will be "manual only" do you mean you must shift gears yourself, no auto shifting?

81 - 100 of 114 Posts