101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
thanks PSIG
I'm not looking to shift a tranny, not here in Cal
I have a complete 4r70w in my 62 right now with the wiring
harness...
From my reading the MSD is simpler then most of the others.
I might have to re-read the instructions, but I don't think it uses
a TPS I could be wrong... hell I can go down on pull all the
4r wiring harness for cheap on half off day...
Its always good reading others posts finding out what is going
on. I think I'm about a year behind on my car... damn.
Best

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
PSIG: I'd be interested about that new controller when you know more.
When you say it will be "manual only" do you mean you must shift gears yourself, no auto shifting?
No - sorry. I was speaking of two different options in that post. One option is to do manual-only shifting of any gears and lockup, using NO controller of any kind. It can be done if you're the DIY type, using dash or console switches, or paddle switches, or shifter switches, or MLPS, etc. You're just switching two shift solenoids or one lockup valve ON or OFF to select the gear you want and/or converter lockup.

The other option I'm watching is a basic controller with all the features most others have (including auto-shifts, etc.), for about 1/2 the price. That makes two or three coming out 'soon' that will give the currently available ones a run for their money. :tup:

... I might have to re-read the instructions, but I don't think it uses a TPS I could be wrong ...
It appears the MSD is also tied to TPS. The one I just mentioned above uses a manifold absolute pressure sensor (MAP or vacuum sensor) instead of TPS, so it just has a vacuum hose that plugs right on to your engine and functions like our older pre-EFI transmissions (C4, FMX, C6, AOD, etc.) to determine load and relative shift points and pressures. I personally prefer using MAP over TPS as a better indicator of how hard the engine is actually working.

David

·
Registered
184 Posts
sounds promising PSIG
Any word on when it might be coming out?
I re-read the Atomic controller, and yes it does use a TPS,
what is interesting or funny is that they mention it, but they
don't show its an extra or outside item, or that it's included.
I still like it over the others, no computer needed, has its own
display, can make changes on the fly. built in safety features.
But I'd wait for the ones you mentioned to come out, I like
the vacuum system more the a TPS, and I hope the cost would be
a little less...
Best

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys... don't mean to steal this thread but I've decided to move my OBD1 setup in my F100 over to a full OBD2 setup where the ECM controls both my 302 and the 4R70w Trans. I wanted to mention a couple things.

1. Ive played hell trying to get a correct dip stick. The v6 mustang wouldn't clear the firewall. The AOD was too short, about a quart and 1/2 low. I ended up pulling a 97 Explorer 5.0 dip stick which worked beautiful. Just a fun tip.

2. Anyone interested in my US Shift control w/ harness? Send me a PM and we can discuss :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
PSIG (Dave)

Let me just clear my mind.
you bought the us shifter from Bauman
you did not buy their wire looms, but made your own.
Do you have the complete wire harness from the 4r70w?
when you made your own "pigtail" did it connect to the
original wire harness from the 4R?
And all you did was ask Bauman for the connectors?
I see the price has come way down over the last few years.
If I can do the wiring myself that' a big help.
I don't run a windows laptop, which was another reason I did not
like the us shift controller.
And if the MSD Atomic was less expensive, I'd buy it..but money
is an issue...
Now all that said, How do you like the 4r with the controller?
does the transmission kick into overdrive by itself or do you need to
flip a switch?
I have a 4r out of a 01 Mustang V6, with the wire harness, also
the floor shifter.
Best

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
PSIG (Dave)

Let me just clear my mind.
you bought the us shifter from Bauman
you did not buy their wire looms, but made your own.
Do you have the complete wire harness from the 4r70w?
I had a complete harness, and stripped the transmission connectors and wires out of it, with as much length as possible. Most of the trans wires (except power mostly) go to the ECM connector, and I just un-pinned or cut them there. I'll look - I may have some photos.
when you made your own "pigtail" did it connect to the original wire harness from the 4R?
I took the connectors and wires I stripped-out of the Ford harness, and crimped the connectors US Shift gave to the ends of those wires. There aren't a lot. Something like 12 or so.
And all you did was ask Bauman for the connectors?
Yes, BUT they knew I know what I'm doing, and make my own looms, EFI systems, controllers and such already. I can't say they will do the same for you. However, you can also buy the mini AMP connectors and terminals from lots of online electronics places - but again they can't help you with troubleshooting any problems you have that they didn't cause. It's not their harness, so they can't and shouldn't help you if it doesn't work right. Your problem at that point. Be sure you're willing to deal with that before going this route.

What I did was to download the manual (here) and look at it. You would use the bottom of Page 14 for your '01 4R70W. When I was certain I knew exactly what I should do to make the harness - then I called. I had it figured-out before I ever committed to making my own harness. I would suggest you do the same. It's pretty-much "connect the dots", and you'll either feel very comfortable, or very uncomfortable with it. ;)
Now all that said, How do you like the 4r with the controller?
Fine, it does exactly what I expect it to do. I modified mine. Most tuning is done right on the unit, though I have an old $50 WinXP netbook I also tune other stuff with and could use with the Quick1. MSD has done some good work of-late, and I imagine theirs is a good or excellent unit as well.
does the transmission kick into overdrive by itself or do you need to flip a switch?
It's all automatic (like factory), or as manual as you want to select it on the fly. For example, I let it do all the shifting (it's more consistent and accurate than a human), and disable OD and lockup only when racing. You can paddle-shift it, or manually bang the gears, or whatever makes you giggle.
I have a 4r out of a 01 Mustang V6, with the wire harness, also the floor shifter.
Then you have everything you need except a controller (TCU) and whatever connectors the specific controller uses.

David

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thanks Dave
Helped me clear things up.
The MSD guy said I could not get connectors from them
I guess they want to sell you more stuff. Looking at the price
a US shifter is $425 right now and the TPS is $118 from Holley
not bad if I can do the wiring myself...I'll need to study the
wiring layout...
Best
and thanks again for the reply.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would much rather have a MAP sensor than a TPS.

Dave as PSIG said they won't help you trouble shoot any problems you might have related to wiring but i had a problem with something that ended up being line pressure and the owner spent a lot of time on the phone with me trying to figure out why it was "down shifting" on its own. The wiring is really simple and I had it done in an hour or so

·
Registered
6 Posts
The TPS is very similar to a TV cable that most transmissions have today. It specifically tells the TCS where load should be and calculates its performance curve based upon the map you've built.

I have spend a couple hours on the phone with the US Shift guys getting and understanding how their software works. Didn't have any issues with the controller outside of me wanting to simplify my install and go with a single control for both PCM and TCS.

MAP would be for engine control only... Your trans could careless how much air is being metered :p

I'll be posting my US Shift control on ebay shortly as I have no use for it anymore. :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
The TPS is very similar to a TV cable that most transmissions have today. It specifically tells the TCS where load should be and calculates its performance curve based upon the map you've built.

I have spend a couple hours on the phone with the US Shift guys getting and understanding how their software works. Didn't have any issues with the controller outside of me wanting to simplify my install and go with a single control for both PCM and TCS.

MAP would be for engine control only... Your trans could careless how much air is being metered :p

I'll be posting my US Shift control on ebay shortly as I have no use for it anymore.
I have no words for this post

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
... The MSD guy said I could not get connectors from them
I guess they want to sell you more stuff. ...
+1 to c91x's comments, and to be fair, I completely understand that they don't want to be chasing issues with their paid support folks when it may be a screwup by the installer with a cobbled junky harness. I'm sure selling the harness (no DIY) saves a lot of head-banging on their end, and fewer frustrations for the average customer, that could otherwise result in reduced reputation (even if not their fault).
. . .
Warning - geeky tech stuff ahead - skip if this kind of stuff bores you:

I know you want to sell your controller, and I hope you are successful as it's a good one; but I have to comment here on the technical side - the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) is a transition sensor. In that sense your statement is correct, in the sensor indicating (if held still) what the load should eventually be, when the system stabilizes. It tells the system (EFI or TCU or whatever) what general level of power the driver is wanting; not what the power (load) level actually is. If the system uses TPS or TV and rpm - then it is known as Alpha-N, and functions assuming what the load is, much like mechanical fuel injection used to. Obviously, 80% TPS at 2000 rpm will be an entirely different power level than 80% TPS at 5000 rpm. Not real accurate, but far better than TPS alone.

BTW - only one popular Ford used a TV cable - the AOD. GM had two (200-4R and 4L60 non-E), as transition systems from carb to EFI, where fluctuating vacuum from emissions systems of the day and 'electronic' carbs were playing havoc with modulators. Throttle position (TV cable) was one way to do it until the new EFI systems could "know everything". Transmissions before and since that era have used manifold pressure and rpm sensing as the primary measuring sticks.

The MAP sensor (not MAF - that's air flow) measures manifold pressure (or 'vacuum' if that's easier to relate-to). The MAP is used in combination with speed to determine the actual load the engine is under at any given moment. With this info, it can add exactly the correct amount of fuel (EFI), or the right line pressure to hold the clutches (TCU), or when to shift, etc. In this way, it's more like the vacuum modulators used in non-electronic transmissions.

While this difference in sensors is not as important to milder and naturally-aspirated applications, it becomes important in supercharged, turbo, and other applications that may be producing power levels much different than what the TPS is saying you want. For example, even when easing-off the throttle, my turbo engine may be making double the 'normal' power at half-throttle as the turbo is spooled and shoving twice the air past a half-closed throttle plate. This is why I modified mine, as it's a factor for me, and I prefer control based on actual (or at least a more accurate calculated) load. But, that's me, and my situation.

For 90+% of users, the TPS system like yours has (and the original postings in this thread) will obviously work fine, just like AODs did. Baumann has done a good job with their systems over the years, and you can't beat their 'good-guy' service. Perhaps someone right here will take advantage of your offer, if it's a good deal. If you're posting it on eBay and everyone will see it anyway - how about telling us what's included and what you're asking for it?

David

·
Registered
6 Posts
I finally did this swap last year and have the same sentiments about how it transformed the car. Best modification ever made. I used an OEM EEC-V computer from a junkyard, however. I also converted to SEFI using a MAF and EDIS for ignition at the same time, all controlled by the EEC-V. It's a totally new car. I reckon the wiring effort was much higher in my retrofit than using the Baumann controller, however I think there's a lot more finely tuned transmission control you can tinker with if you use the OEM computer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm with you 100%!! I initially had a US Shift TCS which I found impossible to tune for freeway stop and go traffic and decided to go back with a 96 Explorer EEC-V PCM. Went DIS and added an OBDII chip tuner to finish it off. Truck drives great!

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
I finally did this swap last year and have the same sentiments about how it transformed the car. Best modification ever made. I used an OEM EEC-V computer from a junkyard, however. I also converted to SEFI using a MAF and EDIS for ignition at the same time, all controlled by the EEC-V. It's a totally new car. I reckon the wiring effort was much higher in my retrofit than using the Baumann controller, however I think there's a lot more finely tuned transmission control you can tinker with if you use the OEM computer.
Do you have details on your transmission installation with the EEC-V controls? Would you be able to use one of those for the transmission only.

I'm with you 100%!! I initially had a US Shift TCS which I found impossible to tune for freeway stop and go traffic and decided to go back with a 96 Explorer EEC-V PCM. Went DIS and added an OBDII chip tuner to finish it off. Truck drives great!
Do you have details on your installation? Are there wiring diagrams out there anywhere to use with a newer computer to control the transmission?

101 - 114 of 114 Posts