Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I assume this is a classic way to get a better transmission in a 63 Galaxie. Ill probably get a 390 and a C6 transmission in January. And Ill have a lot of questions later.

First: A lot of other threads may have exactly the same subject, does someone know about a good thread about this subject?

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
If you're looking to get more performance, the C6 is definitely the way to go. Many more performance parts available. However, if the car is just a cruiser/daily driver the Cruise-O-Matic will serve you well.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The goal is to get 350-400 hp from the 67 390. The c.o.m. was made for the original 220 hp 352, so im not sure if the c.o.m. will handle the power from the new390 engine. Installing a C6 can be a challenge, different length and linkage and maybe more issues. Its some threads about these issues in this forum, but havent found it...yet;)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Sorry, but shouldnt one person or another in this forum sometime has removed the engine/transmission from his/her Galaxie? Is it possible to remove without removing the engine from the transmission?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
:confused: hmmm never saw this thread to answer yesterday... It never showed up as a "new post" as thats the way i have been trying to keep up.... But yes should be able to pull motor/.trans as a unit. Maybe have to jack up whole car and block but should be poss.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
In discussions here it seems to me opinions were split 50/50 whether it was was easier to remove the engine alone or engine+transmission together. Pulling together had the benefit of easy reconnecting of the two parts but engine alone you could use less hoist equipment.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
As mentioned earlier in this thread, the 390/C6 comes from a 67 mustang. I assume the C6 was delivered in different versions, will a C6 from a 67 mustang make some "extra" problems , more than the "usual" modifications needed installing it in a 63 Galaxie?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts