Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1965 ford galaxie 4dr police car, 289, c-4
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi,
I had bought a heater core for my 65 galaxie 500, im stuck on what else to do or parts to get. I have the cover of the firewall and thats basically it. This has been my project car for about 3 years now, and trying to recover parts and get it back to original and complete. Little history about this car, my grandpa got it back in 1970, then after him passing some people got it and basically stripped everything from the radiatior to the driveline. They didnt know what they were doing, and some things that are missing to this car i found odd. So now im trying to piece it back together, and this part dealing with the heating has been the hardest part of the journey between this ol lady and i. Any direction to go, parts to get, and advice would be great! Btw excuse the wiring mess, my grandfather wasnt the great wiring person and niether were the people who got it after him.
Thank you i hope the pictures helped!!!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Until someone with more knowledge on the later Galaxies can help, you might see if you can find the parts catalog for your year. There is an illustrated and a text volume. The illustrated one should have exploded views of all the pieces. I believe a lot of the heat/AC doors and mechanisms are vacuum operated.

Pat

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
View attachment 167186
Hi,
I had bought a heater core for my 65 galaxie 500, im stuck on what else to do or parts to get. I have the cover of the firewall and thats basically it. This has been my project car for about 3 years now, and trying to recover parts and get it back to original and complete. Little history about this car, my grandpa got it back in 1970, then after him passing some people got it and basically stripped everything from the radiatior to the driveline. They didnt know what they were doing, and some things that are missing to this car i found odd. So now im trying to piece it back together, and this part dealing with the heating has been the hardest part of the journey between this ol lady and i. Any direction to go, parts to get, and advice would be great! Btw excuse the wiring mess, my grandfather wasnt the great wiring person and niether were the people who got it after him.
Thank you i hope the pictures helped!!!! View attachment 167187 View attachment 167188

Hello Lindseysgalaxie65,

You've got quite a project going on there. I've completely rebuilt one of these HVAC systems and have two more to go. I'll be happy to help you, but you are going to have to provide more information. Your title says replacing the heater core but you don't have the heater core plenum out, whereas you have the evaporator plenum out.

The best way to start is showing us exactly what parts you have first. Then we have a basis to go on from there.

In the interim I can give you a brief synopsis of the system:

Ford used this style of HVAC system on full size cars from 65-68. The only thing that changed is they moved the heater control valve around on the latter years. This system is very unique in a couple areas. First there are no blend doors as found in other HVAC systems. In other HVAC systems the evaporator and heater core run at one constant temperature and the blend door takes refrigerated air and depending on your HOT--COLD setting either bypasses the hot heater core or directs some or all of it through the heater core if you want hot dehumidified air.

Because this system doesn't do that, it must modulate the temperature of the heater core and the evaporator directly. This makes this system more complicated. Both the heater core (heat mode) and evaporator (cool mode) have their own thermostats linking together and then to a Bowden cable that connects to the WARM ---- COOL selector on the dash.

In heat mode the heat only thermostat monitors where the WARM ---- COOL selector is positioned and also measures the temperature from the incoming air off the heater core. If it's too cold, the thermostat sends more vacuum to the heater control valve to allow more hot engine coolant to flow through it, thus raising the temperature. And vice versa.

In cooling mode the vacuum to the heater thermostat is shut off and the heater control valve shuts off all flow of coolant through the heater core. The cooling thermostat also measures where you have the WARM --- COOL selector placed and it measures the temperature of the evaporator core and will cycle the compressor clutch electrically to maintain that selected relationship.

I'll touch on what I've found to be still available. The condenser and receiver drier can be bought new. Last time I checked both combined were around 500 dollars. Both are available separately of course. The heater core is available. There are 2 different heater cores for the factory A/C cars; one with same size heater hose fittings and one with odd size heater hose fittings. So be sure you look at your old one first.

The York 210 compressor is still available brand new as class 8 trucks were still using them in the last decade so they are aplenty. The factory expansion valve with screw on check valve is no longer available. You can use a similar year Mustang expansion valve in lieu of it and not use the check valve. It works just fine. The thermostats are not available, but occasionally you'll find them on E-Bay NOS. Just be prepared for sticker shock on the price.

The evaporator is not available, if you need one you'll have to look for a used one. The hoses and fittings of course can be purchased separately and you can either buy the crimper and make your own or have a shop make up new hoses.

Hope that initially helps.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
6,035 Posts
Here is a diagram I made of some of the controls on the firewall and a part number for the A/C thermostat
So Desert, the connection where the blue vacuum tube pauses on it way to the hot water control motor, there's a thermostat in there? Interesting!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Here is a diagram I made of some of the controls on the firewall and a part number for the A/C thermostat
So Desert, the connection where the blue vacuum tube pauses on it way to the hot water control motor, there's a thermostat in there? Interesting!
Hello puttster,

Yuppers, otherwise if there weren't a thermostat to modulate vacuum you'd just have full heat with no adjustability other than the blower speed. Both heat and cooling thermostats are mounted under the plastic cover. The heat thermostat protrudes into the blower area and samples the air temperature coming form the heater core. The thermostat is a simple analogue vacuum controller that can apply full vacuum, throttle off vacuum, or dump vacuum to the heater control valve based on heat in the blower assembly vs WARM -- COOL setting.

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello Lindseysgalaxie65,

You've got quite a project going on there. I've completely rebuilt one of these HVAC systems and have two more to go. I'll be happy to help you, but you are going to have to provide more information. Your title says replacing the heater core but you don't have the heater core plenum out, whereas you have the evaporator plenum out.

The best way to start is showing us exactly what parts you have first. Then we have a basis to go on from there.

In the interim I can give you a brief synopsis of the system:

Ford used this style of HVAC system on full size cars from 65-68. The only thing that changed is they moved the heater control valve around on the latter years. This system is very unique in a couple areas. First there are no blend doors as found in other HVAC systems. In other HVAC systems the evaporator and heater core run at one constant temperature and the blend door takes refrigerated air and depending on your HOT--COLD setting either bypasses the hot heater core or directs some or all of it through the heater core if you want hot dehumidified air.

Because this system doesn't do that, it must modulate the temperature of the heater core and the evaporator directly. This makes this system more complicated. Both the heater core (heat mode) and evaporator (cool mode) have their own thermostats linking together and then to a Bowden cable that connects to the WARM ---- COOL selector on the dash.

In heat mode the heat only thermostat monitors where the WARM ---- COOL selector is positioned and also measures the temperature from the incoming air off the heater core. If it's too cold, the thermostat sends more vacuum to the heater control valve to allow more hot engine coolant to flow through it, thus raising the temperature. And vice versa.

In cooling mode the vacuum to the heater thermostat is shut off and the heater control valve shuts off all flow of coolant through the heater core. The cooling thermostat also measures where you have the WARM --- COOL selector placed and it measures the temperature of the evaporator core and will cycle the compressor clutch electrically to maintain that selected relationship.

I'll touch on what I've found to be still available. The condenser and receiver drier can be bought new. Last time I checked both combined were around 500 dollars. Both are available separately of course. The heater core is available. There are 2 different heater cores for the factory A/C cars; one with same size heater hose fittings and one with odd size heater hose fittings. So be sure you look at your old one first.

The York 210 compressor is still available brand new as class 8 trucks were still using them in the last decade so they are aplenty. The factory expansion valve with screw on check valve is no longer available. You can use a similar year Mustang expansion valve in lieu of it and not use the check valve. It works just fine. The thermostats are not available, but occasionally you'll find them on E-Bay NOS. Just be prepared for sticker shock on the price.

The evaporator is not available, if you need one you'll have to look for a used one. The hoses and fittings of course can be purchased separately and you can either buy the crimper and make your own or have a shop make up new hoses.

Hope that initially helps.

Cheers
Thank you!! I have the heatercore, but i didnt get a picture of it. Everything was ripped out, and the people had taken off alot of parts. I went to the part store and got a heatercore and all. So thats where im stuck, i just would like a heater, i dont want the ac part of it all

Thank you,
Lindsey :)

·
Premium Member
6,035 Posts
Those heater cores from auto parts stores will work but are skinnier than stock. You have to fill around them with foam to prevent air from blowing around them. If you don't, you won't get hot air.

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
307 Posts
I have a/c and heating parts laying around. I wont be using the factory stuff. I have found in a lot of cases its easier and cheaper to use new stuff like Vintage a/c units.
But if your going for a factory restoration and want to keep it original, I would rather see the parts I have be used than to clutter my shop or sit around and not be used.
Let me know👍

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Thank you!! I have the heatercore, but i didnt get a picture of it. Everything was ripped out, and the people had taken off alot of parts. I went to the part store and got a heatercore and all. So thats where im stuck, i just would like a heater, i dont want the ac part of it all

Thank you,
Lindsey :)
Hello Lindseysgalaxie65,

I just reposted an old post I did regarding the heater function in these 3rd gens with factory air con. This should pretty much show you what you need and how to check if what you have is functional.

1965-'68 Heater Control Valve and System with...

Now even though you don't care about the refrigeration portion of the HVAC system it still would make your project of heat only easier to have the cooling thermostat installed. If you look at the last picture in the above link, the heater thermostat is piggy backed off the cooling stat as far as the WARM --COOL selector cable is concerned.

Please feel free to ask any specific questions as there is a lot of detail and complexity to these systems.

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello Lindseysgalaxie65,

I just reposted an old post I did regarding the heater function in these 3rd gens with factory air con. This should pretty much show you what you need and how to check if what you have is functional.

1965-'68 Heater Control Valve and System with...

Now even though you don't care about the refrigeration portion of the HVAC system it still would make your project of heat only easier to have the cooling thermostat installed. If you look at the last picture in the above link, the heater thermostat is piggy backed off the cooling stat as far as the WARM --COOL selector cable is concerned.

Please feel free to ask any specific questions as there is a lot of detail and complexity to these systems.

Cheers
Thank you so much! I think this is just what i need to help me get this all together!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts