Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you install the hood prop rod in the original spot? The obvious spot doesn't seem like it'd be possible. I have looked at pictures of other Mustang IIs and I just don't understand how it's done. Pictures would be great! Thank you.

These are the clamps and the hood prop rod I have.

I "believe" this is the correct hole for the hood prop rod clip to go into.

This is why I am uncertain if it goes there. When laid down to shut the hood the rod would stick out...

There's another hole further back but the hood would be up straight in the air and not leaning on the hood prop rod and it also would stick out a few inches.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm almost 100% sure that you have a 74 Prop rod and a 75+ car. The 74 prop rod is different than the 75-78 (those all being the same). The 74 rod is longer and the lower end connects to the front core support. The 75+ go in the hole you have shown in the 2nd pic down using the large plastic clip. The clip goes in first without the rod then the rod goes in and the clip snaps fast to the rod. The small plastic holder goes in the square hole by the rubber hood bumper on the same side as the battery. If you need a 75+ rod let me know I have one here you can have for the cost of getting it to you.

Tim

·
Registered
86 Posts
The spring and washer and cotter pin was only used on the 74's when it was all connected to the core support. Starting in 75 they went with the plastic clips that he has there. It's a Big PITA to try and use that washer and spring when to have to get at it under the fender.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bah! I was afraid that might be the problem. I bought it off a guy on craigslist who said it was off his 77 ... lesson learned. Thanks for the replies. And Cobraii351, I will PM you my address. Let me know what shipping will cost and I will paypal it to you or money order. w/e your fancy is. Thanks by the way.

While I can't do any major projects on my MII atm, it pains me to let her sit in my garage. I have so much I want to do with her, and I finally have the money / resources. Dang immigration process... lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts