Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
But the 3.8L stuff will all fit correct? So If I find a 3.8L with a 5 speed it will be a T5 and everything from the flywheel back will work. Fly wheels are the same so the front balancer works or will I have to do something with the balancer????
The 3.8 uses a different tooth fly wheel its 164 that means you need to use the 3.8 starter and the correct tooth fly wheel. Ford put the 164 tooth in a lot of different things so as long as its the correct weight for your engine you will be fine. Other than that the 3.8 stuff will work with a 302 no issues.

·
Registered
104 Posts
:)OK - So I think what you just told me is that if I pick up a mustang with the 3.8 & 5 speed I can use the T5, shifter, bell housing, fork/throw out bearing and depending on how "used it is" I can use, clutch pressure plate and clutch disc on the existing 302 flywheel if it is good. If I find the 302 flywheel is bad I could probably use the 3.8L flywheel & starter, if they are good, but I need to pay attention to how many teeth each flywheel has because both could be 164 teeth??

It almost sounds like I am keying in on the 3.8 flywheel but I'm really just trying to learn about these "fords". I almost think I'd be better to just hang with the 302 flywheel. Just resurfacing the existing 302 flywheel and probably just getting a stock clutch "kit" to put it back together with since I have no idea how hard the one in it has been "used"

Am I right in thinking that all T5's use the same clutch disc?

Thanks - Learning every day.

LBM:tup:
The 3.8 uses a different tooth fly wheel its 164 that means you need to use the 3.8 starter and the correct tooth fly wheel. Ford put the 164 tooth in a lot of different things so as long as its the correct weight for your engine you will be fine. Other than that the 3.8 stuff will work with a 302 no issues.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just did this swap twice last summer with a 97 3.8L T5 in my 65 Falcon sedan and my 66 Mustang coupe. Here's what I found out during the swap.

I you want the mechanical speedo you'll need a pre-96 tailshaft housing. I used a 93 which required some creative grinding as the later T5's had an "oil slinger" added to the od gears that the housing is machined for. The earlier tail housings don't have it but some time with a grinder solved that.

The 3.8 bell can be used with the correct starter and a 164 tooth flywheel as mentioned, but the 3.8 flywheel will not work. It is a 0 balance and will vibrate the 302 badly. You need to find a flywheel with the proper balance for your engine year. The 3.8 T5 will bolt up to a 94/95 V8 bell (hard to find) and allows the standard (in most cases) 157 tooth flywheel. I used the 5.0 bell in the stang & 3.8 bell in the falcon. The flywheel also dictates the clutch to a degree. I used a late model diaphragm clutch in both cases so I had to find a flywheel that had that clutch type bolt pattern. The 157T flywheel was easy, the 164T I would up using a flywheel from a 64 Galaxie with a 289. Don't remember the part number off hand.

I went hydraulic setup in both cars. I know the fork comes out lower in the bell which gave me extra space in the Falcon. That engine compartment is 1" narrower than the Stang so header space is at a premium. I used a external slave cylinder on a home made bracket to actuate the clutch (no one produces one for this T5 application) . Went internal on the Stang, so no fork at all (kinda leary on that one after some stories I've heard about leaks).

The Falcon required some floor pan surgery to keep the driveline angles correct. I pie cut the tunnel and extended the floor to raise the tail of the trans. Wound up cutting into the cross brace and "re-designing" that while I was there.

Too many things to finish on the Stang so I can't say how it works just yet. The Falcon drives beautifully and I get around 23mpg on the highway if I can keep my foot out of it... Only thing is I tore her down again to add EPAS and swap in 06 Mustang bucket seats and a homemade console.

·
Registered
104 Posts
:tup: Thanks - makes sense on the flywheel. Good info.

LBM

Just did this swap twice last summer with a 97 3.8L T5 in my 65 Falcon sedan and my 66 Mustang coupe. Here's what I found out during the swap.

I you want the mechanical speedo you'll need a pre-96 tailshaft housing. I used a 93 which required some creative grinding as the later T5's had an "oil slinger" added to the od gears that the housing is machined for. The earlier tail housings don't have it but some time with a grinder solved that.

The 3.8 bell can be used with the correct starter and a 164 tooth flywheel as mentioned, but the 3.8 flywheel will not work. It is a 0 balance and will vibrate the 302 badly. You need to find a flywheel with the proper balance for your engine year. The 3.8 T5 will bolt up to a 94/95 V8 bell (hard to find) and allows the standard (in most cases) 157 tooth flywheel. I used the 5.0 bell in the stang & 3.8 bell in the falcon. The flywheel also dictates the clutch to a degree. I used a late model diaphragm clutch in both cases so I had to find a flywheel that had that clutch type bolt pattern. The 157T flywheel was easy, the 164T I would up using a flywheel from a 64 Galaxie with a 289. Don't remember the part number off hand.

I went hydraulic setup in both cars. I know the fork comes out lower in the bell which gave me extra space in the Falcon. That engine compartment is 1" narrower than the Stang so header space is at a premium. I used a external slave cylinder on a home made bracket to actuate the clutch (no one produces one for this T5 application) . Went internal on the Stang, so no fork at all (kinda leary on that one after some stories I've heard about leaks).

The Falcon required some floor pan surgery to keep the driveline angles correct. I pie cut the tunnel and extended the floor to raise the tail of the trans. Wound up cutting into the cross brace and "re-designing" that while I was there.

Too many things to finish on the Stang so I can't say how it works just yet. The Falcon drives beautifully and I get around 23mpg on the highway if I can keep my foot out of it... Only thing is I tore her down again to add EPAS and swap in 06 Mustang bucket seats and a homemade console.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
Modern Driveline is a good source for transmissions, clutches, etc. There's also a vendor who is great with adapting the T5 to older Fords... such as cable clutch conversions, and all sorts of other cool stuff. Click 'products' at the top of the page for more stuff that he carries. LOTS of real world solutions for working on these old cars.

https://www.mustangsteve.com/

21 - 30 of 30 Posts