Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ill hopefully get a CD player, an amplifier and 3 speakers installed before next weekend, when Ill drive 259 miles to a american car meeting. I have two questions:

My 63.5 Galaxie has the original radio. When installing a modern cd-player from 2002, can I connect the cables from this cd player to the original radio cables? The necessary cables is permanent 12V and 12V connected to the ignition switch. Ground is easy. I have the wiring diagram for 63 Galaxie, but it may be a challenge to find and access the actual cables. Some tips about cable colours and location?

Installing the amplifier may be easy, done it with other cars before. The 12V power cable have to go through the firewall. Where is the most ideal place on the firewall to get it through? I assume I have to drill a hole

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Kjell - have you considered leaving the factory radio there and simply wiring your amp and speakers for a medial player? CD players are almost obsolete now, and the MP3/iPod/smartphones can plug directly into the amp to play everything of your choice by menu and receive excellent AM/FM as well. Even streaming stations if it's a 3G/4G phone. That's the direction I went, and I love it. Super simple. The plug just tucks under the carpet edge by the console, and even has charging capability while you listen to your favorite tunes, and the dash is still all original. Just a thought.

David

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes, CD players are alsmost out of date now. It may seems stupid, but its almost because of that I want a CD player:). I also feel I have more "control" with a CD player, also because it has a remote control. It was also the same which was mounted in my earlier 69 mustang and it worked fine. The original radio will be in the car, the CD player will be under the dash, on the right side of the selectair or where the select air is, if I remove A/C. Something like shown on the attached images

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
personally i would run all new wires for the new stereo. but then again i dont trust 50 year old wiring. as for the power cable for the amp. does your car have a grommet in the firewall where the antena cable goes through? if so shove it through there. otherwise just drill a hole and put a grommet in and run it through that.

i do like davids idea better though. its what im doing with my 69 galaxie. ipod to EQ to active crossover which is then split to sub amp, highs amp and mids amp. with two 15s six 6.5'' mids and six 3'' highs. i can then hook up either an ipod, my phone, any friends phone, any mp3 player, laptop or anything else with a audio out port.

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
On a 65 there are two wires in, a blue-red (dash lighting) and a single power wire, yellow-black. They both go into a pull-apart connector so there may be a way to splice in without cutting anything. The power wire comes out of the fuse labeled "Radio."

Not sure what you want to accomplish by tapping into the old radio. Do you want to use it as the on/off switch, or use the existing speakers?

Wiring for you will be easier than it was for me since you have space in the dash for the amplifier. In my case I had to run the power wire, the head unit off/on wire and four RCA cords to the amp in the trunk, then go back to the dash with the speaker wires.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I had toughts about using the old radio wiring as on/off switch. I want the CD player to turn on/off like accesories (f.ex the ventilation fan) when turning the ignition key on. Its maybe just to find the wire which all accessories are connected to, and use that wire for on/off switch. Another alternative is to use only two wires (+/-), then it will not be partially controlled by the ignition switch. Im not gonna use the original speakers, some bigger speakers will be mounted to a new molded package tray and a retrosound dual speaker will replace the old one in the dash.
Today I removed the back seat by pressing in front and down, some old dollar/cent coins was found under the seat, the oldest one from 1981:). The original package tray, who I will keep original, was made of metal. Since I got the car a year ago Ive expected it was made of hard plastic. The amplifier will be placed in the trunk. I didnt find a grommet in the firewall for the antenna cable, so I drilled a hole just behind the big oval hole in the firewall on passengers side.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
The central post on the ignition switch is accessory power. Or you could just tap the radio power cable which is switched power too. For constant 12 volts I just use the cigar lighter ( being a non smoker I don't care!)

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
Ill hopefully get a CD player, an amplifier and 3 speakers installed before next weekend, when Ill drive 259 miles to a american car meeting. I have two questions:
So did the Gal make the 259 miles there and back? :tup:

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wasnt at that meeting, but I remember when I bought the car last year, I drove it from South to North Norway, 812,5 miles. My Galaxie did make then. Later this summer Ill drive the opposite trip and back, I assume the car wil make it then also.

The cables for the stereo are installed and one retrosound speaker is mounted in the dash so far

I have 2 alternatives for the CD player, which the attached image and the youtubelink (1:24 seconds from start) show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycpx8FXoboc&feature=related

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a Sony radio with usb port that i plug a zip drive ( I think thats what it's called LOL) in, it is wired to the original radio fuse on my 62 Galaxie works great so far. The player is under the passenger front seat and has a remote that will bounce signal off the metal dash to adjust volume or skip a song. 21 hours of nothing but the old fart music I like with no commercials and I run a radio deleat plate in the dash.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts