Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a couple questions before I get started. I've pulled the 8" out of the car and put it back in a couple of times. However, I think the 9" will cause a few simple problems and want to know what I need and have to look forward to before I tear into it. First here's a rundown of what I got.

-Detroit soft locker 51 spline (oops! 31 spline)
-4.30 ring & pinion
-Strange case 3.062
-31 spline Moser axles with drag studs
-1350 yoke
-HD pinion retainer
-Explorer discs
-custom housing, seamless tubes, and big bearing torino ends

Now the questions. How much work is it to get the Explorer discs to hook up to the existing lines? Do they have the same fittings? If not where should I look to get what I need? What will it take to get the parking brake to work? Not necessary. Would be nice to have it though.

Will my dual reservoir master cylinder and adjustable regulator from an old (think around '96) Stainless Steel Brake Company (SSBC) front disc kit work with the rear discs? If not what is the best affordable way to go?

I'll need wider u-bolts to bolt the new rear to the leaf springs. The old plate will have to go and so will the plate that is for the Shelby style traction masters. Can I order these from somewhere? I guess the traction master plate could just be welded to the new spring plate (if that is what it's called?). Any good ideas on the best way to go about this?

Will get new lug nuts for the longer drag studs in case anyone is wondering.

Last, how many pounds do I need to benchpress in order to lift this thing onto the leaf springs!
I think I'll need three people. This thing weighs a ton! Did the 8" myself with fluid still in it. Can barely move this 9" dry.

Thanks in advance for any help.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 289nate on 6/15/06 6:48am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll be getting a new driveshaft too.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Wow... you dont mess around when you decide to upgrade!
Good work!

I dont know much about the brakes... I use granada...
But in regards to the spring plates, youre right your stock ones wont fit... unleass you file out the holes... but that makes them even weaker than they were originally. I bought a set of spring plates from Total Control Products (now owned by chassisworks) and they are much stronger and they have the bigger holes... plus it has built in tie-down hooks if you trailer your car often. Good solid peices.
http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/leafspringplate.html

I ended up going to a spring shop and getting them to build me a set of U-bolts... that way you dont have them hanging down too far out of the plate (I dont know if you have lowering blocks).

I humped mine in by myself... not a big deal... used a floor jack and just turned it sideways to get under the car and then straightened it out... easy.
But dont drop that baby!
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, it's 31 spline. My fingers don't always type what I think. Maybe they're out of tune.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Thordane. I figured I'd try ordering it right the first time so it will handle a future build. Next will be a g-force style t5 and then a motor that will threaten to break it. Might take a while to get it all done though.

Yup, car on jackstands and the rear on the floor jack is how I did the 8". I'd need help just getting this 9" onto the jack and like you said sure wouldn't want it to fall on me!!!
Think I'll tell a couple friends that I'll teach them how to install a rearend if they bring some cold barley sodas and help with a little lifting.

I'll check out the link. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts

Motorcycle jack worked well for me.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I had my car on a rotisserie, sideways. I hoisted the axle up with an engine lift and bolted it in like cake. (if you've never bolted cake, disregard this)

And that is about worthless to your present situation. A floorjack works ok, better if you can put a piece of wood on it so the weight of the axle holds the pinion up. Personally, I like bolting the leaf springs on the Axle, then sliding the whole assembly in and just bolting the front eyes in, then the backs.

I got my U-bolts from pep boys. Direct bolt in. barely had to file the spring plates (actually, we cut them with a torch, but we cut it the wrong direction! so the slots didn't help at all. ) Still fit just fine.

edit: This was with a big-housing 9"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: thekingofazle on 6/16/06 9:14am ]</font>

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'll second attaching the springs first. If your springs are still in the car, drop the rears and slide the axle in and bolt it up. It's a cakewalk.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I use a 68 Vette manual M/C (1" bore) for my 4 wheel disc setup. Its a bit big and heavy and you will have to elongate the mounting holes slightly. Pedal pressure is firm.

I might try a Daytona M/C later this summer (7/8" bore)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts