Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read many threads and know how to determine TDC of compression stroke. I've read I should turn the crank until I'm at about 10 degrees before tdc. I've read that I should also turn rotor to point to the #1 post.

Since it is a new distributer with no plug wires installed, how do I determine which post is #1?

Can I randomly pick one, point the rotor at it and start my firing order from there?

thanks

george

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Don't know about the newer stuff but the duraspark or back has the part# cast into the side of the housing. The group # for all distributors is something like 12127. The rotor should point to the #1 of the group #. Doesn't really matter, just the way the factory did it or if you get a cap with #1 marked it makes it easier.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Just an idea but with the vacuum advance pointing to the front of the car, #1 on the cap is usually @ 1 o'clock on the cap . Grab onto an old cap is you have one and it still might have #1 marked on the cap as mentioned above. I like to put them back to the factory locations as some, not all, of the replacement custom wires are cylinder specific and therefore are cut to specific lengths. This all changes of course with a universal set.
Hope this helps.......John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts