Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got the time to start installing my new 3700 stall converter from Edge.
How much fluid should I put in the converter? I've heard from 1/2 quart up to 3 quarts already and I want to be sure what's the correct amount.
When I put my 2400 stall converter in about three years ago, I only got about 3/4 of a quart in it. How important is this step?
Also, this is the first time I installed a tranny without it attached to the engine. Is there any good advice out there?

351w(.060), ported & polished heads with 1.94/1.60 valves, 10.5 comp, stealth intake, 274XE cam, Holley 750, Mallory dist., shorty headers, flowmasters, 4:10 gear, c-4 with 2500 converter, subframes, electric fan

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 82GT on 4/10/06 9:22pm ]</font>

·
Registered
317 Posts
I usually do one quart but how much is actually in there by the time I get it mounted is a whole nother story.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I've always filled them as much as possible without having it all spill out during installation, kinda like putting on a new oil filter.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What would happen if you don't fill them?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
All the fluid you put in the tranny will be taken in by the convertor - and your pan will run dry, and your pump will fry.

Plus it lubricates the convertor.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh...I will for sure..LOL I was told there will be a night/day difference between my old 2400 stall and the 3700 stall and how the car will respond.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts