Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to replace the points, but I cant seem to get the pertronis hooked up and working w/ my msd box. no matter what I do the is no spark.

This is in a 92 ranger 351w, all the factory stuff has been removed and the msd was working fine for years with the points, did I blow the pertronics, even though it never fired? Is there any way to test it with a oHm meter?

I have the points back in it right now.

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
Pertronics with the 6AL is easy, positive coil side on the pertrontics should go to ignition +, and the negative coil side on pertronics shouls go to the points input on the 6AL (white wire i think) If you look on pertronics website, they have a thing saying how to hook up to msd boxes also

·
Registered
107 Posts
Here you are Scott...This is how I hooked mine up. Just make sure you have the distributor ground wire in your distributor connected to the screw that holds your Pertronix unit in place.

You will take the red of Pertronix and the red of the MSD unit and
switched 12 volt and tie them together. Then take the black of the
Pertronix to the white of the MSD unit. These do not go to the coil. At
this point you will have no wires on the coil. The only 2 wires that will
go to the coil is the orange from MSD to coil positive and small black of
MSD to coil negative. These should be the only 2 wire physically touching
the coil. The only wires left would be the heavy red and heavy black,
which go to the battery positive and battery negative.

Also, make sure your red switched wire has at least 10 volts. Do not connect to a resistance wire with reduced voltage. Bad news.
Good luck!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I did this same thing last weekend. On the MSD Box manual, it came with wiring instructions on how to hook it up to Pertronix ignitions, with a diagram. Easy to follow. Had everything mounted, hooked up, wires routed, and working in a couple of hours.
Good Luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts