Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble getting the damper and pulley from my 352 onto my new 390. The 390 has I believe a post-68 timing cover and crank spacer. I was able to get the damper on there with MUCH hammering, but not the pulley. It won't go over the crank snout.

I have been grinding on the inside of the pulley to get it to fit. Now I am wondering if I should be using the 352 crank spacer, which is about 1/2" longer. That might allow the pulley to bolt to the damper without going over the crank. The engine is not in the car so I can't tell how far out the pulley should be by seeing where the belts line up.

Should I switch spacers?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
I am having trouble getting the damper and pulley from my 352 onto my new 390. The 390 has I believe a post-68 timing cover and crank spacer. I was able to get the damper on there with MUCH hammering, but not the pulley. It won't go over the crank snout.

I have been grinding on the inside of the pulley to get it to fit. Now I am wondering if I should be using the 352 crank spacer, which is about 1/2" longer. That might allow the pulley to bolt to the damper without going over the crank. The engine is not in the car so I can't tell how far out the pulley should be by seeing where the belts line up.

Should I switch spacers?
You are running a pre-68 balancer, the spacer wont be different, but it uses a different pulley.

I would go out to a truck in a junkyard and buy a 68+ balancer and pulley that is bolted to it. Belt locations are the same

For laughs though, thats the date code on the pulley in the picture?

·
Premium Member
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I went ahead and pulled the balancer and pulled the spacer for comparison with the 65 spacer. The 65 is longer, so I will put that one on, hopefully now the pulley will bolt right up.

Later edit: Success! Now only three issues. 1.) pointer is too short, 2.) I hope the crank pulleys line up with the accessory pulleys and 3.) With the front sealed I preoiled with a drill and observed oil coming out most of the rockers. Though I rotated the crank, I did not see anything seeping out of four of the rockers. Anything to worry about?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Slorry, that short spacer as it turns out is from a 429.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts