Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks in advance for any help that I can get. For some reason my instrument cluster lights quit working. Checked the fuse and it's good. I have no voltage at the fuse clips (where the fuse pops in) with the headlight switch on or off. Park lights work, headlights work but not instrument lighting. Now, this is what is really strange to me and it might have always been this way but I never noticed. With the ignition switch turned "on" but not all the way to the cranking position the instrument lights come on, at cranking position they go off and this happens whether the headlight switch is in the on or off position. Help me.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Administrator
21,643 Posts
What year is this, i forgot the car you have. **Just went and looked and saw this is a '65. I'm not familiar with how they operate.

But are you saying all the the lights in the dash come on as cranking an just when the key is in ON position or just the like oil and gen or alt lights? If you have a wiring diagram maybe there's an issue with the wires from the ignition switch or something. Not sure how the power is routed to the fuse box but if you find that you will probably find the answer to the problem. Most likely there is a dirty connection somewhere or broken wire. I'm thinking that only one side of the fuse clips are hot and the fuse completes the circuit. Did you check both sides and did you test with the key ON or OFF or try both ways. There might be power when the key is in the OFF position. I'm not too good at the electrical stuff at all.

You can check here for a wiring diagram.
Car Manuals for Old Cars | The Old Car Manual Project

1 - 4 of 4 Posts