Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lights in the instrument panel don't work. I have the entire dash apart as I am painting it. There was an aftermarket cluster gauge (temp,oil pressure) installed when I got the car and when I turn the lights on, it illuminates, but the rest of the lights do not. I changed all the bulbs hoping that that may have have been it. I also made sure the dimmer was up all the way. The blinker bulbs don't work either. I called a place to see what a new custom wiring harness would cost and the price was about $350! Thats a little much for me right now considering all of the open current projects. I also checked the fuses and they were all fine. Just in case I replaced them all anyway. Any and all help would be appreciated.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ericb214 on 11/13/06 8:43am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Make sure the panel is grounded. If you are checking it with the panel out hook a temporaty groung jumper wire up.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
i just bought a EZ wiring kit for $125 off ebay

did it over the last month, worked out great

L

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same problem on my 62 Sunliner, but it was a fuse. I originally over looked that particular fuse because it was so small and I didn't see it at first. If you have the ability to check if you are getting power at both ends of the fuse I would do that before replacing the wiring harness.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
On 2006-11-12 17:52, 63ford406 wrote:
Make sure the panel is grounded. If you are checking it with the panel out hook a temporaty groung jumper wire up.
I did that! I painted the instrument cluster and then put it all together and nothing. I had to scratch some paint off a couple screw holes as the screws grounded it. Sure had me wondering if I hooked something up wrong at first though!

Deb

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Are you actually getting voltage from the dimmer? Often they are euchred so test to see if it is getting 12 volts. If it is then you need to start "ringing" out the wiring till you find a break. Stu

1 - 6 of 6 Posts