Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my 65 started puking oil out the intake gasket. So, since I'm having to pull the intake anyway, I might as well upgrade, right? I'm on a tight budget (The 71 Mach 1 is taking all the spare change right now). The car has a basically stock 390. What do you guys recommend for a economical intake?

Thanks,
Bryan

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
How about pumping 10 K in the motor first to handle that 8 carb intake. I do love the look of a multi carb engine.

I would leave the stock intake on the 390 UNLESS you are pumping the engine up.

·
Premium Member
5,860 Posts
If you can get the intake back in with a lift while keeping the hood on and don't plan on having to do it all again, I would stay with the cast iron. Otherwise aluminum is a pretty good alternative, though not flaw-free.

I found a used Performer 390 and luckily it fit properly, though I had to get two holes rethreaded and then modified it to add another temp sensor and gasket matched the ports. Had to buy a smaller air cleaner because the Performer sits up 1" higher than stock. bought a new spacer because the 4100 does not fit on the Performer flange, am still dissatisfied with the resultant PCV setup, forgot to block off the exhaust crossover, wish it had a water crossover. Just sayin, it ain't plug 'n play.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:

One thing leads to another. Right? Along with bad intake gasket, the freeze plugs were shot and leaking. We pulled the engine to replace the gasket, seals and freeze plugs. The water passages were just full of rust and junk. Pulled the rear bearing to inspect and the bearing were toast. So, I now am running a fresh rebuild. Bored .030 over, polished crank, rebuilt heads with 428 Cobra Jet stainless valves, Erson cam (428 Cobra Jet grind) ARP bolts in rods and throughout the engine. Edelbrock Performer intake with 1" spacer. Cast Pistons. New water pump, fuel pump and Holley 750 carb. LOVE it! Throttle is crisp and has a ton of torque. Here are a few pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
I decided to keep the cast iron intake and sell the Edelbrock Performer. I just listed it on the Galaxie swap and trade. Want to keep the stock look.

·
Premium Member
5,860 Posts
Frank, Sorry for missing your question. The 1970 428 spacer is 1/4" high and has a straight back pipe for PCV. Costs over $100 though. I ended up with a 1/4 incher with a skinnier pipe that I think is supposed to be used for A/T but I'm using it for PCV (pic).

I also have an open air cleaner on now though with the skinny spacer I could (and should) probably switch back to the stock snorkel.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts