Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been toying with the idea of adding power steering to my car lately, and previously I planned to save up for a full power rack & pinion system. However, I'm investigating a different route...

... by just replacing the steering box with a Borgeson PS steering box, adding a PS pump, hoses and belt, I can convert my manual steering to power steering. The advantages I see could be: 1) it would keep the "tuned" geometry of my front suspension unmolested by the addition of a rack & pinion setup; 2) no problems with old leak-pron technology in a rebuilt original system; 3) it would be cheaper than purchasing a full rack & pinion system. I need to do some more research, but this sure sounds like an interesting option.

Has anyone here installed a Borgeson power steering box, or know someone who has this setup? I'd really like to hear some real world feedback.

Here's some info on the self contained power steering box from Borgeson, which is a direct bolt in for classic Mustangs. However, you can't use the stock clutch linkage with this unit, but I should be ok with my hydraulic clutch setup.
Borgeson Link: https://www.borgeson.com/mustang.html
Mustang steering box link: https://www.borgeson.com/catalog2/product_info.php?cPath=164_190&products_id=1035

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
falling off the deep end...

So no one has done this mod around here? Looks like I might be breaking trail. If I go with this option, I'll post an update.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I like the idea of the Borgeson unit and if my O/E system did not work so well I would consider it.
My only apprehension is if the manufacturer has followed the proper procedures in welding the steel mounting bracket to the cast housing.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I put a modified saginaw 605 in my 64 Fairlane. The 55 -57 Chevy guys have been doing this modification for years. It works pretty good but the road feel isn't as good as a rack or a better steering box would be. The box that you are thinking of are supposed to be really good. Apparently they are what the Nascar cup cars use.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I like the idea of the Borgeson unit and if my O/E system did not work so well I would consider it.
My only apprehension is if the manufacturer has followed the proper procedures in welding the steel mounting bracket to the cast housing.

how is the OE setup.
i have a 68 falcon ive been striping and was thinking of taking the power steering setup.
to put in my 68 sportcoupe.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just finished putting the borgeson box on my 63 falcon.The box is originally a 95 isuzu trooper box modified to bolt on a ford.Their is no kit for a falcon(only mustang)so I made my own.Napa made my hoses I shortened my column using a 3/4 smooth to 11/16-36 coupling.I used the saginaw canned ham pump which is the original trooper pump.This box is awesome!My car drives like a late model car.Barry

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies, y'all. It's nice to hear your feedback.

Does the Mustang pitman arm work on the Borgeson box?
I believe that's correct... at least that's what the Borgeson people say. You'd just need to confirm the right size sector shaft (either 1" or 1 1/8" diameter).

why not wait till the rack swap ?
For a few reasons...
1) It would be about $1000 cheaper than the rack I want.
2) Turning radius would not be changed/reduced.
3) I spent a fair amount of effort/time sorting out the geometry of my current manual steering setup. Lowered UCA by 1 3/4" for the GW arms and dialed in bump steer issues relative to my setup. The car now drives well on both the street & track.

I put a modified saginaw 605 in my 64 Fairlane. The 55 -57 Chevy guys have been doing this modification for years. It works pretty good but the road feel isn't as good as a rack or a better steering box would be. The box that you are thinking of are supposed to be really good. Apparently they are what the Nascar cup cars use.
Yes, road feel is a concern. I'd really like a "power assist" feel, not a completely soft or mushy power steering feel, and I was hoping that I might hear some first hand experience from someone who has installed a Borgeson unit.

And just to play devil's advocate on a power rack, I've also heard some say their power rack does not have as much "road feel" they would like.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thanks for the info. This sounds like a great alternative to the work and money needed to put a rack into an early Mustang, Falcon, etc..

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've often wondered about this upgrade myself. There seems to be a wide gap between the goofy factory power steering and an aftermarket power rack & pinion.

Let us know how it goes. I am definitely interested in doing this also.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hey Garner67-

Just wondering if you (or anyone else) did the Borgeson conversion?

I'm getting ready to do this swap, but I wanted to hear some feedback first.
This definitely seems like the way to go for converting from manual to power steering.

Thanks,

JC

·
Registered
368 Posts
Wow, coming into this thread WAAAAY late, but I wanted to chime in here.

I've done this swap into my 69 Ranchero. I had factory leaky power steering, and kept the old power steering pump.

Pluses - no more leaks! Better road feel.

Negs - You'll need to enlarge the opening in your firewall (at least on a Fairlane, as the rag joint will now intersect it).
- you'll also need to shorten your column by at least three inches.

I can post pics if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wow, coming into this thread WAAAAY late, but I wanted to chime in here.

I've done this swap into my 69 Ranchero. I had factory leaky power steering, and kept the old power steering pump.

Pluses - no more leaks! Better road feel.

Negs - You'll need to enlarge the opening in your firewall (at least on a Fairlane, as the rag joint will now intersect it).
- you'll also need to shorten your column by at least three inches.

I can post pics if anyone is interested.
I would like to see pics also.. I am looking into going this route also.. Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'd also really like to see pics & for those who've done it: where'd yall buy your modified PS boxes? I'm interested in doing this... Would you be able to describe what steps & parts were involved in the process?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
368 Posts
Ok, I keep dredging this old thread up, but ppl keep posting on here too, as I think alot of ppl have questions about the Borgeson swap. Not sure why the default for these threads is "No notification", but I'm subscribed now.

Anywho, here's some pics of my swap, hopefully this should help answer questions for others that seek this info out.

All of the info I post here relates to installing a Borgeson unit on my '69 Ranchero - info will be applicable to Fairlanes, Mustangs are different (and easier).

This is what I started off with:

Just your standard power steering box. I'd adjusted it many times over the years and it was just worn out. Car would wander when going down the road, had already checked alignment, replaced front end components, etc.

And then I found this:

As you can see, the rear threaded insert for the power steering ram bracket is gone. Not stripped, GONE. The single layer of sheet metal in the frame rail at this point had fatigued and simply broke away. There's nothing to put another captive nut into. I could have simply welded a nut to a flat plate and welded that plate to the frame rail - that would have solved my problem, but the vague, over boosted steering would have still remained.

Must be a better way, right? I knew of Borgeson from the boxes they make for the tri 5 chevies, so I contacted them. Turns out they were working on a box for intermediate Fords, and I agreed to be a guinea pig for them. Boxes are out of Izuzu Montero's. They have the mounting plates welded on (no easy feat to cast iron), and the output shaft resplined to Fords.

As you can see, the overall dimensions are pretty close to stock:

But it differs in one very important area. Since they incorporate the power assist into the unit, it is 'taller' (as distance closer to the firewall) by 3" than a stock Ford unit. This is where Fairlanes and Mustangs differ. Mustangs have their shock towers farther away from the firewall than Fairlanes. That's why this box will fit into Mustangs with no mods. Us Fairlaners must adapt it.

I won't bore y'all with the actual installation - it installs just like any old steering box. You will have to swap hoses to match, but can use the stock Ford pump. Just be aware that if you run large/wide tires on the front, the stock ford pump won't like it, but it will work. Borgeson recommends using their pump. Turns out the Ford pump puts out something like 800psi at idle and the Saginaw style puts out double that, around 1600psi. So, if you run the stock pump and crank the wheel over with fat tires, the pump isn't really putting out enough pressure to gracefully keep up, so it squeals and makes the belt jump up and down.

After doing some research, I ended up speaking to a nice fella down in LA who is known for doing custom power steering systems (maybe for circle track cars? I forget now, it's been a couple of years since I spoke to him). Anyway, he recommend that I find mid 70's Econoline vans and use their pump. Turns out that Ford used Saginaw pumps on ALL their Econoline vans.

I can usually find these vans at my local Pick-n-pull, so picked one up. You don't need to buy there, in fact I picked up a new pump from RockAuto for about $40. But you will need the unique mounting bracket that they use.

What you'll need to modify for install in a Fairlane is the firewall and steering column. Remember that I said the Fairlane has the shock towers closer to the firewall? When you install the Borgeson, it now places the rag joint in the plane of the firewall. On the firewall, I had to grind a small, crescent shaped area that was interfering with the rag joint. You can see it here, to the right of the ragjoint:

You'll need to shorten the column by about 3". This is pretty easy to do. My column was the collapsible kind, so I compressed it. The inner shaft is a two piece unit, and moved super easy, with only a little encouragement.

And here's the box all installed:

At this point, I hadn't hooked up the lines yet.

I don't have a good solution for the hole in the firewall, since the rag joint is now there, the stuck lower column bracket doesn't fit anymore. I've played around with making a spacer out of 1" thick aluminum plate, which helped. But then when I converted my car over to a stick, I used the Modern Driveline kit to mount the clutch master cylinder, which makes use of the stock hole in the firewall. It really could use a boot of some sort. But, since I'm in the middle of painting my Ranchero, I just haven't got back this yet.

I hope this helps ppl that are looking for info on this swap. If anyone has any questions, please let me know - I'm subscribed to this thread now!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Your rag joint ended up in the same spot as on my car with my modified saginaw 605 box. I used the factory lower column mount with a split tube welded on to extend the clamp area away from the firewall. Have had it like this for about 5 years now, so it seems to work well. I also am using a saginaw pump that I have mounted to a 67 small block power steering bracket. Had to modify it a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
stvrrr what did you have to do to get the 605 box to work. Pitman arm, steering shaft, etc. I see the custom bracket on the box. How is the bracket fastened to the box?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts