Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Wow, too much technical jargon and bench racing if you ask me. A lot of that might be great if you build 7 or 8 second cars but with what the average guy deals with, this is just too detailed; trying to turn wrenching on cars into rocket science. I find it hard to believe that things like piston speed/ cross sectional area/ inlet pressure/ area/ e=mc^2..... really make much of difference on a 12-13 second car.

What was with everyone hating on N2oMike?

I think he proved a good point, you don't need massive heads to go fast. I don't care what the math says

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think Mike had a disagreement with one of the more abrasive but well respected guys there. It seems to have all worked itself out and everything seems OK with Mike there now.

The reason I posted the link was because there has been some interest here lately in this type of cylinder head tech. Nothing more and nothing less. There was also a recent post about wet flow testing on Dart heads. A fellow that works at Dart goes into detail about that in this link. I perfectly understand that this is not for everyone. It also takes some reading to get to the good stuff (5 pages long).

Too much bench racing? Lots of the talk is coming from guys that have built these combos, run them at the track, results from a dyno, and flow testing (wet and dry). The technology for your AFR 185's came from this same type of stuff and some very extreme combos. I enjoy the real world experience there (and here!).

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Eric Koenig (Racer7088) knows his stuff! He is a mechanical engineer who does race engines. I don't pay much attention to Bad95GTS, SStrokerAce, and some of the young guys that think they know it all. Jay Allen knows what he is doing. Ed Curtis rubbed me then wrong way when I first started posting there, so I shared my feeling about how he conducted himself. After that, him and his 'yes men' gave me constant grief. The guy has a lot of knowledge, but an ego the size of Texas.

Oh well, things seemed to have settled down and there are some good guys there with plenty of knowledge. Just don't expect any SPECIFIC knowledge about camshafts and engine combos to be shared unless you are willing to pay money for it.

The people at this site have always fostered a nicer, more helpful, open and accepting atmosphere. It's also directed more towards street and older cars than HC50.... especially in the 'old days'.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: n2omike on 4/24/06 6:14am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I agree 289Nate, I think that post can answer just about any question one would have about cylinder head size and such, the topic has appeared here and the responses given by guys on this board did not agree for the most part.

All of the technical math stuff is great, and I'm sure it is useful from the engineering side of things, but when it comes down to it, that's just above and beyond what the average person takes into consideration when putting together a combo.

For a 12 second car, I don't see much of a gain from any aftermarket cylinder head, whether it's dart/afr/canfield etc... we are talking maybe 20 hp difference, what that relates to at the track is not much at all

I think we are just trying to squeeze everybit of horsepower out of our engines but the end result I really don't see it being worth it unless you race for competition in a specific class. For the average guy, with a street car and occasional track run, using the math to put together a combo may net you more, but I don't see the necessity.

The only reason I went with a custom cam and AFR's was because I knew that if for some reason I was not satisfied with my track times, the first thought in my head would be that I need to swap cams or I should have bought better heads. I know they are optimized to what I have so I can put them on and forget about changing them in the future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts