Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Ford Custom. 302 . AOD. Work in progress
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening. I am looking for assistance with my interior paint code. Is it listed on the door tag or in vin number? I have a 1965 Ford Custom that has red interior but want to paint the dash as close to the seat, headliner and carpet red. If I look up the red from the headliner I ordered would that automatically be the correct and same code for paint color for the dash and interior metal trim? The dash and seat pictures show the original variation of red. It’s a darker red and the original exterior color was Wimbleton white.
thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much. It’s been a slow go restore but I am so happy I didn’t give up. The mustang idea is good, there is a lot more options and information on the mustangs than any other model it seems.
thank you again

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Door tag. Here is some detail: 1965 — SoCal Galaxie Club

I would try interior paint for a same year Mustang. Often the colors were the same.

I really like white over red. Your car will look great!
The door tag decoder is great except that it only tells me that my trim is red vinyl not an actual code. Hopefully the (71315) code will get me what I need. I’ll update the post as soon as I get the paint mixed.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The color chip books that auto body paint and supply stores have list the exterior and interior colors from the body codes of that year with the paint company number for that code. The jobber looks up the formula for that number on his computer and mixes it for you. It can be mixed flat, satin or semi- gloss. My jobber even will put the paint in rattle cans if needed. They mixed the paint for my Galaxie interior and it matches perfectly. I used single stage polyurethane catalysed semi-gloss on mine. No need to go Mustang code when you can get the original Ford color mixed at your local auto paint store. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The color chip books that auto body paint and supply stores have list the exterior and interior colors from the body codes of that year with the paint company number for that code. The jobber looks up the formula for that number on his computer and mixes it for you. It can be mixed flat, satin or semi- gloss. My jobber even will put the paint in rattle cans if needed. They mixed the paint for my Galaxie interior and it matches perfectly. I used single stage polyurethane catalysed semi-gloss on mine. No need to go Mustang code when you can get the original Ford color mixed at your local auto paint store. Hope that helps.
Yes that helps. I will go to the automotive paint shop today. I like the fact that they can mix a rattle can for me. Thank you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts