Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, the continuing saga of Baby Huey, my 65 4 door Custom. A Custom is a base model of the Galaxie, therefore all Galaxies are Customs but Customs are NOT Galaxies!! (JOKE: Don't want to start a war here!!)

Anyway the interior plastic trim going up the post between the doors is cracked on both sides and very brittle. It is also very thin!! What did you guys do to remedy this? Parts are as rare as hens teeth (for a Custom, lots of Galaxie interior pieces though). I'm thinking of using vinyl seat material (that matches my seats) and some padding, putting it in place with a little glue and using the door windlace to hold it in place (like a headliner). Is this doable?? Or have I missed a supplier that sells these parts.

I have tried Dearborns, Autokrafters, Stock Interiors, and the web search in general with no luck.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Cheap way would be cover it in tape and then cover in vinyl.
If it was mine I would fiberglass from the back side and maybe a little on the front side but try to make it as smooth as possible. Then get some 1/4 inch foam backed headliner material and glue it to the trim panel. The headliner cloth will work better but if you want it in vinyl just put the vinyl over the headliner padded fabric.
As for holding it to the door post (and the clips are missing or can't be used) you can velcro it on or use some trim screws with the chrome washer.

·
Registered
219 Posts
If it's the piece I'm thinking of (I just found them on my 67) it's super thin... Mine is cracked at the top. just sits over the body seam. but is paper thin and brittle..
Brian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts