Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanting to start fixing up the interior of my Galaxie and have amassed a hodgepodge of different color interior pieces. What is a good vinyl/interior paint?
Best brand, most durable, and closet to factory 1964 Red?

What supplier would you recommend for carpet, and which options? Backing, plushness, etc.

Dashpad, is it difficult to install? Best supplier? Tips to triming and finishing.

Supplier for new seat vinyl recommendations.

Really looking for some helpful information. Thank you! I will include some photos of the interior currently, 1964 Tbirds front seats, 1963 XL rear seats white, white vinyl sunvisors, really thinking I should go red, but if someone can talk me into keeping things white I'll listen. I have a black XL console, and black 1964 XL seats in the trunk. I need a manual console top plate and trim.

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Motor vehicle Car Hood Vehicle Automotive design

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Motor vehicle Light Automotive design Vehicle Car seat cover

Vehicle Car Window Motor vehicle Automotive design

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car seat cover Automotive design Car

·
Registered
508 Posts
For my 1964 Galaxie, I used red '64 Mustang interior paint, L-6022 I think from Scott Drake for the metal parts. This is different from the Rangoon Red exterior color. For the vinyl parts, I used SEM 15363, Portola Red vinyl dye. The corresponding Mustang vinyl paint was too orange and very thin. Would have taken way to much to cover. I also went to an auto paint store and picked up some flexible vinyl primer in a can, too, as I was changing from black to red. BTW, I just did the dash pad and one arm rest, not the vinyl seats.

Pat

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For my 1964 Galaxie, I used red '64 Mustang interior paint, L-6022 I think from Scott Drake for the metal parts. This is different from the Rangoon Red exterior color. For the vinyl parts, I used SEM 15363, Portola Red vinyl dye. The corresponding Mustang vinyl paint was too orange and very thin. Would have taken way to much to cover. I also went to an auto paint store and picked up some flexible vinyl primer in a can, too, as I was changing from black to red. BTW, I just did the dash pad and one arm rest, not the vinyl seats.

Pat
I'm going to recover seats and replace panels that are remanufactured. Thanks you for the insight on the paint.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
Just my 2-cents on colors and paint. Contrasting complimentary interior/exterior colors are usually preferred, as color matching two reds usually fails. One red is typically too blue or too orange, etc. However, if firm on two reds, I would use custom color-matching from your favorite paint supplier in a vinyl "flex" paint and vinyl primer.

They can shoot the color of your new seat covers with a spectrophotometer (which isn't always perfect), applying paint test batches to a hidden part of the covers, until the dried color is a good match. This color is applied to the other less-abused interior parts. Again, it will not match the exterior color, but at least everything inside will match. It's only time and money. ;)

·
Administrator
22,096 Posts
What was the original interior color, was it red since I see door panels are red. I think red on red is way overkill on red yet most all rangoon red '64s and '63s are that way. Not sure what they were thinking when they came up with that idea!

Most of the carpet at all the usual galaxie and full size ford parts places are from ACC Auto Custom Carpets but don't think they sell directly to the consumer. So do some searching and see who has the best price. They have the low and high cost, one is just the carpet with a plastic backing the other is thickly padded in the floor areas. If you go the "mass backing" option it's pretty thick in the floor areas and you won't need any sound deadner or not much at least. It is an extra $80 for the thick padded one and make sure you have a really sharp blade as that stuff is tough to cut!

I checked Mustang Market reviews and they weren't very good so might not want to buy from there. Right now, or last I heard, it could take a while to get things. Hopefully the delays are somewhat over.

·
Registered
228 Posts
What was the original interior color, was it red since I see door panels are red. I think red on red is way overkill on red yet most all rangoon red '64s and '63s are that way. Not sure what they were thinking when they came up with that idea!
Could it have been all the drugs they were experimenting with? 😉

Why not go with black interior in general? Black rug and vinyl seats (you already have some to "test fit"). Might look good with contrasting red trim and you have the console already. Keep dash pad red. I am not a fan of red on red, either....and don't like white interiors in cars. Gets way too dirty way too fast, imo.

But it's all a matter of taste

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
F

Most of the carpet at all the usual galaxie and full size ford parts places are from ACC Auto Custom Carpets but don't think they sell directly to the consumer. So do some searching and see who has the best price. They have the low and high cost, one is just the carpet with a plastic backing the other is thickly padded in the floor areas. If you go the "mass backing" option it's pretty thick in the floor areas and you won't need any sound deadner or not much at least. It is an extra $80 for the thick padded one and make sure you have a really sharp blade as that stuff is tough to cut!

I checked Mustang Market reviews and they weren't very good so might not want to buy from there. Right now, or last I heard, it could take a while to get things. Hopefully the delays are somewhat over.
The factory interior was red. Exterior red/white. I have considered the black interior route, but the car has a white top. So what you are saying is red dash cap, red door panels; black carpet, seats, and console?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I don't know what I'm saying, lol. There are a lot of colors there.

However, rather than try to match the reds (and I'm not a fan of red interiors at all, honestly), I would rather gradually convert things over to black. Interior paint never works as it's supposed to, or doesn't match or doesn't last long. So it may be a better long term strategy to put in black rugs, use your black seats, find black door cards and other interior pieces, use your black console....maybe leave the dash red as an accent color.

The white roof is an issue, but there's no way I would consider using any white interior pieces on any of my cars, especially a classic. One episode of going under that car to fix something, getting some dirt on your clothes, then sitting in the car again will cure that notion really quick.

·
Registered
508 Posts
The redder the better to me. I'd recover the seats in red, since you mentioned you were going to recover them anyway. The lower metallic dash looks good as is. The armrests look okay from what I can see, as do the rear "door" (interior) panels. Not sure about the carpet, but you can buy new replacement that will match everything else. Too bad about the carpet glued to the dash pad. If the pad has to be replaced, you can buy new from Rhino Industries and dye it with the SEM I listed above. My dash matches the interior fine using that and has held up for 5 years without problems.

Do you know what colors your car originally came with? You can decode the information on the door tag to find out. I'm guessing it was originally Rangoon Red, with red interior. Not sure about the white top but I think there was a paint code for custom colors (white over red, or even truly custom colors not offered by the factory but specified by the person ordering it).

Good luck and enjoy.

Pat

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The redder the better to me. I'd recover the seats in red, since you mentioned you were going to recover them anyway. The lower metallic dash looks good as is. The armrests look okay from what I can see, as do the rear "door" (interior) panels. Not sure about the carpet, but you can buy new replacement that will match everything else. Too bad about the carpet glued to the dash pad. If the pad has to be replaced, you can buy new from Rhino Industries and dye it with the SEM I listed above. My dash matches the interior fine using that and has held up for 5 years without problems.

Do you know what colors your car originally came with? You can decode the information on the door tag to find out. I'm guessing it was originally Rangoon Red, with red interior. Not sure about the white top but I think there was a paint code for custom colors (white over red, or even truly custom colors not offered by the factory but specified by the person ordering it).

Good luck and enjoy.

Pat
From the Dataplate red interior with Rangoon red body, Wimbledon White top. Carpet is high on the list for replacement. As you said front door cards are high on the list for replacement, rear next. Carpet isn't glued to dash it's a dash cover. Dash pad is is cracked, but red is available pre dyed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts