Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Im new to this site. I'm looking into changing the color of my interior from Tan to black. I have been told that SEM Color Coat products are pretty good. They also have good prep / cleaners etc that come with their stuff. Im may dye the leather seats but most likely will not. Im mainly looking into doing the plastic dash / door panel pieces and the leather wrapped steering wheel etc....

What do ya'll suggest? Any tips / tricks are appreciated very much!!

BTW, there are two projects. One is a '79 F250 and the other is a '99 F250 Super Duty.

thanks!!!!

Muddin

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have used SEM on several occasions with good results.If you clean it real good first and apply as directed it should come out good.I have used other brands that I forget the name of and they weren't as good,they didn't seem to penetrate as well as SEM.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've used it for consols, dashes and arm rest. With good results. I'm sure how it would do on a steering wheels though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, well I tried the SEM "Satin Black" on some extra panels that I have and it looks great but it does not pass the scratch test. You can chip it with your finger nails after it dried for 24hrs. I used the "bulldog" adhesion promoter as a primer and then applied the SEM stuff.

I dont know, have yall had your chip at all after using the SEM stuff??

Thanks!!

·
Registered
908 Posts
I used Duplicolor vynil interior paint on my Torino, went from white to black.

To clean the vinyl, I first used soap and water, let it dry, then several applications of Prep-All. Prep-All is a surface oil and grease remover for auto paint prep.

Anyway, I left the panels out in the sun to get 'em hot and sprayed 'em down.

For the seats, I did the same thing. The seats were green buckets with comfort weave, so I did not expect the paint to work. I was wrong, the paint has stuck to the entire interior for two years now.

There is a little flaking around one of the armrests, most likely due to bad prep. I will simply retreat it and paint it again, and it should be fine.

Good luck,

Greg

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Duplicolor worked for me and its less expensive. I did the same prep as Greg.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I used SEM on 2..actually 3 occasions. Most notably, a '83 F100 reg cab 4x2 that I swapped in a 514/C6. It was originally a blue interior but the sun had taken it's toll on ALL of the interior. I swapped in a later model bench seat, put black carpet down and painted the dash, door panels, arm rests and about everything else dark charcoal gray. IF the SEM is prepped GOOD, it doesn't chip. I used that truck for everything, beat the hell out of it...inside & out and the stuff never did chip, peel, crack or fade. Pretty good stuff...but it was expensive. I didn't want to have to do it twice so I paid a lil' more up front.

Other cars I did were a '74 Maverick (that eventually got a 302/turbo/C4) and a '84 Mustang GT. Both had equally impressive results as the F100 did. I wish I had kept the truck....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mavman on 10/10/06 9:11am ]</font>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts