Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

Has anyone ever fitted intermittent wipers to a 63 Galaxie, Maybe from a Mercury Monyerey or something, My car already has 2 speed wipers,

Thanks, larry

·
Premium Member
5,915 Posts
Saw this modification of the JC Whitney switch Wipers, might give you an idea. Or just use the switch I guess.

·
Administrator
21,770 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks puttster and ShotRod,

I have searched this forum but couldn't find anything, It's interesting ShotRod that one of those articles you mentioned is actually on an Australian Ford Forum, but appears to have been posted by blokes in the U.S. There is a Mercury Monterey intermittent switch available, it's about a 68 vintage, But from what i understand from a very good Auto Electrician friend of mine the switch is not the issue, He told me that the inside workings of the motor, especially the 2 speed is very complex and if working is well and truly best left alone and besides because of its inside workings is probably not suitable for intermittent operation, My 2 speed works just fine but i would still like intermittent wipers, so was thinking of maybe fitting a new motor that would be appropriate for the job

Thanks and Regards, larry

·
Registered
285 Posts
I used a mid 70's ford pickup switch on my Fairlane. Has two speed when turned clockwise and the intermittent part when turned counterclockwise. The switch comes with an electronic box which is bit bulky, but it fit under the dash easily. I also had to shorten the shaft on the switch. It made the knob stick out too far. It also has the option for an electric washer pump when you push it in.
Here is one similar on ebay:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/USED-ORIGINA...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5aed8c5384&vxp=mtr

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
If your in the salvage yard most of the F series from the early mid, 80's came with intermit. wipers. Just reach in and if the knob turns counterclockwise your good. Have taken out several and used in other projects. Be sure to get the box. Seem to remember have to swap the washer wire on some of the installs, just swapped it in the connector, no cutting on my install required. This works great. The early merc intermittents were a strange mixture of vaccum over electric with a few hoses and a governor. Worked ok then and would turn the wipers on high when you were passing but I would wonder if many are still working ok.

·
Administrator
21,770 Posts
Thanks puttster and ShotRod,

I have searched this forum but couldn't find anything, It's interesting ShotRod that one of those articles you mentioned is actually on an Australian Ford Forum, but appears to have been posted by blokes in the U.S.

Thanks and Regards, larry
Yeah, i kinda laughed at that myself.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
+1 for cannibalizing the F-truck switch and black box for use with your 2-speed motor. Works fine. Switch shaft may have to be shortened for some installs. Very easy. the last one I grabbed was $15 for all of it.

David

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I wouldn't pay 80 bucks for that one on Ebay, at one time Auto Zone had them for around 40.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to everyone for their input, there's some good info and advice there, i will read through it all again and carefully to make sure i have taken it all in, Then try and locate the necessary bits "Down Here" in "Strayer" to do the job

Regards, larry

·
Premium Member
5,915 Posts
I wouldn't pay 80 bucks for that one on Ebay, at one time Auto Zone had them for around 40.
Yeah, "at one time" JCWhitney had an intermittent switch, too. I wonder why they are getting pulled?

Hey, maybe my patent finally got approved...?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Again to everyone, i have stored most of the attatchment type thingos in my "Favourites" file so i can easily refer back to them at any time

larry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts