Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My name is Richard and I'm a car addict.

I'm located in Lubbock Texas.
I'm a locomotive engineer and I've worked for the Santa Fe/BNSF railroad since 1971.
I was raised on Ford but I have to confess I've strayed in the past I'm just pretty much hooked on anything with wheels, at the present time I have a 55 Thunderbird and wife has a 97 Mustang gt conv. ( also my daily commuter is a 98 ZX2 and I have a 54 Studebaker 2 dr ht custom project, hence my E-mail address).
I was directed to this forum when I was trying to find info on T-5 tranny's, I'm in the process of swapping the automatic out of the T-bird and installing a T-5. I first swapped my tranny to another guy doing a resto on another 55 T-bird, so I've already got the bell housing, pedal assy's and all related standard tranny/ clutch linkage/ brackets. I plan on keeping the Y-block with the t-5 behind it. I've already found a T-5 to Y-block bellhousing adaptor plate on John Mummert's Y-block site.
While looking at the T-5 spec's chart I noticed that the T-5's for the 94-97 3.8 liter V-6 have the same max. torque spec's as the 85-89 5.0 liter T-5's , seems the main difference is the length of the input shaft and the lower gear ratios 2nd-5th gear in the v-6. I will be running a 57 Ford 9" with 3.55 gears and the 0.73 final drive for a V-6 might be even more desirable than the 0.63 final drive for the 5.0 liter tranny.
My question is, can anyone tell me if there is enough pilot bearing input shaft length to cut some of the input off, or maybe add a ½" shim to the tranny adaptor to get the distance needed for the pilot bearing to fit properly. Also, will this tranny be strong enough for the Y- block seeing as it seemed to work ok for the earlier 5.0's. The original 55 Y-block was rated at 190 hp but I don't know torque figures, I know that hp figures are figured differently now then they were back in '55 and todays figures would be alot less rating. but I don't know how the torque figures convert to the way they are figured today. The Y-block that I have is a '62 big web 292, I have 312 heads and intake and will be running a Holley Pro-Jection fuel inj. setup. and police interceptor cam grind.
I don't plan on abusing the tranny, but I will on occasion load it pretty heavy when leaving an occasional stop light next to brand X auto

I'm trying to keep the cost down on this swap as the wife is the one with most of the money and all the P#$$^ !!
Gotta keep peace any way you can .
Hope I'm welcome here and look forward to visiting here again

Take care, Rich

here's a pic of my T-bird

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/ubb/image_uploads/tbird121501engpulled.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cool55bird on 12/30/01 2:09pm ]</font>

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Cool, fresh meat.
Welcome to fordmuscle, anybody with a ford, who likes fords, or wants a ford is welcome here. Everyone here, a few exceptions, (you know who you are, lol) is very helpfull and easy to talk too.
Gorgeous car, it should be shown like this,

I dont know the answer to you question, alot of good tranny guys here, just be patient for the responses.

Welcome again and you will enjoy hanging out here.

Rick

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dark,
I figured there was a way of posting the T-bird pic, but just didn't know it yet
, I've got more pictures of my other cars and a bunch of my friends cars, mostly older stuff but still pretty cool eye candy, here is the link to see them http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/a1954studebaker?d&.flabel=fld1&.src=ph , I don't know if you have a Yahoo ID or pass word, so you might not be able to acess this site, but i hope so, lots cool stuff here .
Rich

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Must be a54Studebaker from the HAMB, cool. I post there as A/FXcomet. The guys here are a little nicer
Tons of really good tech too.

1964 Comet 289 C4 daily driver
"These go to 11." -This is Spinal

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dragman64 on 12/31/01 6:12am ]</font>

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Walt,

Yeah that's me From the HAMB board, I indicated there that I would probably go with a built 312 with Holman Moody speed stuff and a 3x2 or 2x4 intake. The problem with the 312 buildup is I can't get the guy with the speed stuff to commit to a price, and I've already got the good 292 block and the Holley fuel injection set up. ( it was going to go on the 472 Caddy going into the Stude,but that project has come to a halt while I'm working on the bird & for lack of funds) so I'll probably just rebuild the 292 with a hotter cam & .060 over bore.

The main reason I'm so interested in the strength of the earlier 5.0L T-5's and the T-5's behind the V-6's is that I've already got a T-5 spotted for $150 bucks, but I.m not sure what Mustang it's out of. I just got a look at it setting in the guys storage shed and the pilotbearing diamater doesn't look to be as small as the 2.3L /T-5's. I may be pi$$ing up the wrong tree but I hope it's one that will work with my swap. He swears it's from behind a 5.0 and is is good shape but he can't remember when he pulled it, been along time ago.

Nice to see a familiar face, did you happen to look at the link above at my cars and some of my friends cars? there's a picture of a pretty cool '66 Fairlane GT in there you might like, the guy has it finished now, looking mighty good.

Rich

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hi Brian,
they are 16x8 Cobra R reproduction wheels, I bid on them on Ebay and got em for $400 plus the shipping and the lug nuts, they are sold at "www.rim1.com" out of Arizona( or just go to ebay and type in Cobra R wheels) . I love the 17x9 Cobra R's but they just wouldn't fit in my wheel wells (too much positive offset), and I wanted to run a taller tire in the back anyways, it may gve up alittle on the handling but should smooth out the ride some. I've got 205 55 16's on front and 225 60 16's on back, they're Good Year tires. I had to run a 1" adapter on front to get the wheels out enough to look right and to clear my A arms.
I've already got 78 Granada spindles on it with 11" disc's and sway bars front and back, this should help the handling also. I'm also running a home brewed rack and pinion setup that was origianlly a firewall mounted rack from an 87 Buick Skylark, and also an 85 Chevy Caprice Column with tilt and locking column.
Thanks for the compliment on the wheels I've had the car since 89 and frankly I just got tired of it being a garage queen and running on those skinny bias ply tires. Hopefully I won't regret the mods I'm doing to the car and will be able to drive it in relative comfort, I plan on putting an under dash air conditioning unit when i get the mechanical stuff worked out

Thanks again
Richard

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cool55bird on 12/31/01 3:24pm ]</font><U></U><U></U><U></U><U></U><U></U><U></U><U></U><U></U>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cool55bird on 1/1/02 3:42am ]</font>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts