Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

First I would like to thank all that post here for the great info I have already found. Been lurking/reading for a few months, some GREAT info here. Decided to join,

I have a 65 comet I bought off E-bay earlier in the year, I am in the process of totally redoing it, After much reading on this forum and other sites I have decided to go with a crate engine and a T-5 or T-56, 4.11 rear.
Prob, just going to buy it out of Summit, the crate engine is ford racing GT40/345hp. Just looking for any advice/opinions on a combo such as this, Will be happy if it runs in the 13's, will the 8inch rear hold up? Not sure on the torque of the gt40 eng, they didn't post it. Going to buy a locker for the rear but if the 8 inch won't hold up then will look for 9,
Also will the T-56/ 6-speed fit in the trans tunnel or will I have to modify it? I read somewhere (this site I think) that the T-56 case is bigger.

Well Thanks in advance

Lou

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, The T-5 I am looking at is the T-5 7003-Z ? It is on the summit site and a few others, Modern driveline too. It only has the one shifter location, I have seen other T-5's that seem to have multiple shifter locations, Will the one with just the 1 location work in a 65 comet as far as shifter location? I would like to keep the bench seat if possible. Or will the location of the shifter be a problem.

Lou

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
You will have to cut the tunnel support. I like where the shifter is because I am tall and it's there where I can reach it. Modern Drivelines will modify the T5 by using an S10 (chevy) tailshaft. The mod moves the shifter forward towards the dash. You do not have to cut the tunnel support but there are issues with the speedometer cable. I used the T5 from an early 90's Mustang.

·
Registered
48 Posts
cool, I have a 65 comet cyclone and a 64 comet wagon 404 with a 302 and now I am cruising for a while before I put in floor pans in the wagon.

hope you like this place and there a place a for comets

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Comet-List/

and cool to see more comets here

jc

On 2006-09-25 17:36, Arabian454 wrote:
Hi,

First I would like to thank all that post here for the great info I have already found. Been lurking/reading for a few months, some GREAT info here. Decided to join,

I have a 65 comet I bought off E-bay earlier in the year, I am in the process of totally redoing it, After much reading on this forum and other sites I have decided to go with a crate engine and a T-5 or T-56, 4.11 rear.
Prob, just going to buy it out of Summit, the crate engine is ford racing GT40/345hp. Just looking for any advice/opinions on a combo such as this, Will be happy if it runs in the 13's, will the 8inch rear hold up? Not sure on the torque of the gt40 eng, they didn't post it. Going to buy a locker for the rear but if the 8 inch won't hold up then will look for 9,
Also will the T-56/ 6-speed fit in the trans tunnel or will I have to modify it? I read somewhere (this site I think) that the T-56 case is bigger.

Well Thanks in advance

Lou

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Welcome.

Yes, I agree that the T5-Z and 8" will hold up fine to the GT40 engine. The T56 IS too wide for the tunnel, requiring cutting, and it's probably overkill for that engine, and I believe considerably heavier too.

I have a '61 Falcon and have a Modern Driveline-converted T5-Z with shorter S-10 tailshaft that puts the shifter forward. I didn't want to cut the integrated crossmember to allow for the shifter to come through where it would with a non-converted T-5, but now I wish I had. It's just fine but one of those "darn," kind of things that I think is a bit strange, what with the shifter so close to the dash. I could have welded in some strips of metal over and under the tunnel after cutting out that support to make it even stronger than stock. Oh well.

For your bench seat you WILL need that conversion, unless you do something cool like custom notch the bench seat to allow room for the shifter, or even find an existing bench from another car with the notch in it already and use it. I've seen people use bench seats from small trucks, cover them and they look original. I highly recommend Modern Driveline's clutch cable. Very smooth and adjustable.

Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hanky J... I have both a T-5 from an '87 5.0 Mustang ($300) and pulled a five speed from an S-10 ($45) just in case I decided to go with the forward shifter. I was leaning towards the rear shift tail shaft because I don't like to lean forward (hurts the back) so your words about having the shifter in the rear position is very encouraging. Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info guys, I will prob. end up notching the front seat, I would really like to keep a bench, don't think I want it foward toward the dash. I have been to the Modren Drivelines site, (even e-mailed them, no response) But yes I am planning on going with their clutch cable setup. looks like a clean setup too.
As far as the tunnel support isn't it just spot welded in place, you think it could be moved foward or back?

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Yes, if I remember correctly it is just a couple of spot welded bands of steel, which you could move if you were so inclined, and even reinforce.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts