Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am amazed at all the help and information that is available here. I am in the So. calif area. Im in the process of building a 65 A-Code Comet for strip only use. Has the stock 289 and cruiseOmatic. My first newbie question is:
I might be coming into a 1970 351w w/C4 combo. Would it be difficult to install this into this car or will tower mod's be required? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Welcome to Fordmuscle!

It will not require any shock tower mods to make that 351-W fit in your 65 Comet.

I know you will like it here lots of good guys here.

65 Falcon Sprint Super-Stock Replica
66 Galaxie 500-XL 428 4-speed
91 Mustang GT 5-liter 5-speed
95 F-350 XLT Super-Cab DRW 460- Tow Vehical
"Wanted" Edelbrock F-427 390-428 intake

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DynoTom on 4/1/02 2:19am ]</font>

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dyno and FX.

All help with be greatly appreciated. This is my first big project for drag racing and im not sure what will fit and what will have to be modified.

Thanks......

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Dyno Tom has a 351 in his falcon and uses headman headers if I remember correctly. When I first heard about it, I was one of the chief doubters as I'd always heard that the 351 wouldn't fit in 64 Fairlanes and naturally assumed the falcon/comets were the same way. Come to find out, the falcon/comets actually have a little more room than the Fairlanes. Go figure. What's your combo? My engine's currently being rebuilt due to some nasty vandalism (half a gallon of antifreeze down the oil pan. Guaranteed to spin bearings without even revving it hard!) Going to 331 Stroker, T5 five speed, 9" with 411 gears. Hoping for mid 11's the hard way (no nitrous).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fxcomet on 4/1/02 2:20am ]</font>

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 289 thats in there now with Hooker Super Comps only has a fingers width between the hedders and the towers. Thats why i was not sure because i know the 351 is slightly bigger. The engine if i score it at first will just be a rebuild with some slight mods. Then when i can make some more hoursepower money we will go from there.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Glad to see another Comet

I think JustJim was going to use some 1 3/4" headers ment for a mustang in his '62 Falcon.

Let me know how it works out, as I plan to put a 393 of some sort in my car (waaaaayyyyyyy down the road though).

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Hey BFXcomet,welcome to Fordmuscle.Don't you post on http://drag-city.com/ ?
There is no substitute for cubic inches.
My Falcon has had a 351W/C4 for over 10 years.The motor is a direct swap for your 289 and Hedman headers for a Mustang swap will work.I bought a set of 1 3/4 Hooker Mustang swap headers which are supposed to fit,but I haven't tried them yet.If you are interested I've got a new set of Hedman 1 5/8 swap headers collecting dust in my storage shed.I'll make you a good deal on them and might bring them along to Rialto or Irwindale next time I go.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
JustJim are the headman headers you're using the ones for the 351 in a 65-66mustang?I beleive they come in either shorty #88-650 or full length #88-660.I thought I saw somewhere where somebody was using these but had to modify one tube or something.Can you tell me for sure if these headers will work(or which version)and what trans they will work with.I have a 63Falcon.Welcome BFXcomet this is a great site lots of great info,no Jerks

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: frdnut on 4/2/02 2:27am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
frdnut:My Falcon has Tubular Automotive swap headers made for a 351W into a '60-'65 Falcon/Comet or '65-66 Mustang.The Hedmans are #88660 long tubes which will work with a C4 but I'm not sure about a 4speed.I bought them when they first came out because they have 1 5/8 tubes,the Tubulars are only 1 1/2.I just never installed them.It has been my experience that all headers require some slight reworking to install so I just expect that.Don't even get me started on 289 into Morris headers.Ha.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
JustJim which style motor mount do you use the one with the single stud going down through the frame mount or the other style where a long bolt goes through the side of the mount?Do the Headman headers look like they will fit?I've never had to modify headers to fit other than a little ding here or there so I don't want to have to cut and bend tubes.I can get the headman headers much easier here in Canada as the local speed shops carry them.I would have to order the tubular headers myself and they're much more expensive so I would prefer to use the headmans if they will work without too many mods.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: frdnut on 4/2/02 3:23am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
The early kind with the single stud. On each side there is a cast steel mount which bolts to the 'frame'with three bolts,then an intermediate curved bracket with stud, then the mount with a stud. The same setup is used on '63-'65 Falcon/Comet V8's and '64.5/'65 Mustang V8's.It all bolts into early 6 cylinder cars.
Yeah,the Hedmans will fit. A little ding here and there is what I meant,not cutting or bending tubes.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Just Jim on 4/2/02 12:10pm ]</font>

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes i do post on drag-city.com

Im in the Hemet area and im building this car of mine for that track when it open's.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts