Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1971 Torino convertible. I've wanted one since growing up with one as a kid and the dream finally came true yesterday. One thing that's becoming pretty obvious is that I was a lot more fluent about the ins and outs of these cars when I was 18 than I am now.

My plans are to pretty much baby it and use it as a driver. I would very much like to keep it as original as possible but I'm weighing in on the options for the driveline as I'd like to give the car some stock appearing updates over the next couple years. It has a factory floor console with a 3 speed (fmx or c4 I don't know) and a 351 2V. I would like to upgrade the engine to steetable but well built 351 4V and I'm having trouble finding good information on what I can do with the transmission. I'm thinking of a subtle 5 or 6 speed manual with the stock 4 speed appearance.

Questions:

Does the factory console work for a manual conversion?

I've done many searches and it's unclear as to what years I can use for the transmission hump on the floor pan and pedal assemblies. I'd imagine torino/falcon 70-71 are a given but they seem to be like hens teeth. Do any other years for these parts work or are there any new sources?

As far as transmission goes, what should I be looking for? I'd like to build something good for around 400hp.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Just tell the man what engine you have (or will have)...

Also GOOGLE T-56

1 - 4 of 4 Posts