Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a great time watching racing yesterday. The Indy 500, then the Grand Prix of Monaco, then the Coke 600. Since I don't have cable, It was the most racing on TV on one day I've ever seen.

It appears that Tony George and IRL have won the war with CART. I think the only thing they have proved is that open wheel racing must have the Indy 500. Both series are still in trouble at other venues.

What do you think? Do you care? One of the problems I see with open-wheel racing is that the cars are spec cars. If the rules in the 60's were like they are today Jimmy Clark couldn't have started the mid-engine revolution and Andy Granetelli couldn't have brought the turbine cars to Indy. Stock car racing is known for wheel-to-wheel racing, but open-wheel has always been about cutting edge innovation. It seems to me both CART and IRL have thrown away what makes their kind of racing interesting.

Anybody else have an opinion?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
The technology that exists today in racing is amazing.
As far as watching motor racing on the tube is concerned, nothing beats World Ralley Cup racing. The in car camera takes you right along for the ride. These guys are out of control from start to finish. Its amazing that no one gets killed! I want a ride!!

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I really don't like all the buddy system in NASCAR & as far as I'm concerned... this is MY opinion... all REAL race cars have doors! All others are simply race vehicles. Indy has been boring since the early 70's, NASCAR since they forgot what STOCK cars were, any type of dirt seems boring spending all that time going around in circles... all the mistakes you can make & still win, even professional drag racing is out of hand, takes multi-million dollar sponsorships to be able to compete in a GM dominated world. Sorry about the soapbox just venting...

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
What's an IRL.......(some kinda new computer lingo?)

And as far as CART, do they mean go karting?

Sorry to be so anal, but if it doesn't concern 1/4 mile or 1/8 mile drag racing, that roundie round stuff, (no offense), bores me to death.........*(my opinion).

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
I like watching the IRL and CART racing sometimes but not a big fan. However, I find it a whole lot more interesting than NASCAR, espically a track where restrictor plates are used. And Rally Road Racing is awesome. I want to drive.

I think the new type of racing should be. You have 5000 to spend on the purchase of a vehicle and goodies for it. Then have a demo derby type going on a Rally Road Race course and whoever to the finish first wins. And if you are in the top ten then someone can buy your entire car for $5000. That is what I would personaly race. My next sport will be downhill office chair racing...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 68 stang on 5/29/02 10:10am ]</font>

·
Registered
109 Posts
ahh my ears just finished ringing from the indy 500... i was on the inside of turn 2, that is the best entertainment for me, as far as NASCAR, that is just gay, its a parade lap from warmup to the finish, that u can fall asleep too, the indy 500, these guys actually have talent to drive those cars, not just the ability to pull on a sponsor hat and stay in the draft....

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Before IRL came on the scene I was a big fan of CART. But the infighting got to be too much and I rarely watch anymore.

My favorite part of NASCAR is the when they test and tune. Take the car for a couple of laps and hurry back to the garage for tweaks and adjustments. When the cameras are following all the action in the garage area, is what I like best.

But my real interest is in drag racing. I'm a big John Force fan. I especially like it when anybody beats Whine, oops!, I mean Whit Bazemore.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts