Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a inexpensive nice looking '97 thunderbird. I have a 1971 400 I am rebuilding with c-6. I want to use it, how tough of a fit do you think it would be. Looking for small time drag car.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
You're looking at roughly the same amount of work needed to swap to a 460 as you would a 400. If you're gonna put that much effort and money into it you may as well go all the way. You'd be better off doing the swap with a Crown Vic or an older Ranchero/Torino platform.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the 97 is nice looking car with 4 wheel disc brakes. good interior. good wheels and tires. drives good, for 600 dollars. The engine is machined and ready to put together. It should make 400 horse power with no power adders (yet}. I wonder how much modification for that engine (not a big block) and c-6 which is a big trans to get it in. I have not bought car, waiting on you guys for opinions. Thanks

·
Registered
241 Posts
the 97 is nice looking car with 4 wheel disc brakes. good interior. good wheels and tires. drives good, for 600 dollars. The engine is machined and ready to put together. It should make 400 horse power with no power adders (yet}. I wonder how much modification for that engine (not a big block) and c-6 which is a big trans to get it in. I have not bought car, waiting on you guys for opinions. Thanks
Well, it has a 5.0 in it right now right? Or a 6 cylinder? Or a modular engine? If ita anything besides a modular engine...the 400 is substantially wider, heavier, and taller. If its a 4.6...Those may be as wide as a 400, IDK though. If you have never done this kind of thing, its going to be a big project. I have no idea how big, ive never had hands on a 97 bird so i have no mental picture of experience to draw from. I do have a built 400 in my ranchero though. Its a big, heavy, expensive engine...I like it though. If you have the time, and the space for a project of this nature, i say do it. Youll have to build headers for sure, or have them built, may have to change the suspension configuration in the front end depending on if itll fit between the strut towers or not, youll deffinetly need at least different springs to compenstae for the weight difference...theres no way a carb is going to fit under the stock hood with out extensive planning on where you place the engine, if its even possible then IDK. You CAN make it happen, just depends on how badly you want it.... YOu may end up spending as much making the 400 fit as you would just rebuilding an apropriate engine

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Since it has a 4.6 then you'll have enough room in the engine bay, those suckers are very large from side to side. You may have to get yourself a truck pan so that the sump will be located in the rear and therefore clear the crossmember. The C6 is gonna be a very tight fit no matter what you do though and you may want to go with an aftermarket shifter as the stock piece won't have the shift locations in the right places, no clue as to what you should do about the trans cross member though...
Headers are gonna be a bit of a problem, but you can use and headers that are meant for a 351 Cleveland, just remember that everything is gonna be moved about 1" up and away because of the deck height difference between the 400 and the Cleveland. The IRS might, just might, be up to the task of living behind that motor, but just in case be ready with a backup plan.

To cover some of the cost of this swap you can resell the engine and tranny and most likely get back more than you spent on the car in the first place! I say it's a win/win, so do it already!!!

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Check out the build they did on Horse Power TV when they swapped a 600 HP 427 SBF into a T-Bird. They custom made frame stiffeners, I believe they changed to a five speed trans and upgraded the rear axles in the IRS. You should be able to watch all the episodes on the Power Block web site.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts