Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read an article online last night that a fuel pump for a 12 sec car should be able to fill a gas can within 35 seconds. I have a Holley blue pump that's rated at 110gph and I did the math and broke it down for how much it pumps in 35 seconds and it came out to 1.06gph!

If I'm running mid-high 12's, is that cutting it too close.....if that flow chart I saw is accurate?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So are the pumps rated at a free flow rate because once you start adding pressure, the flow rate goes down. I'm dont disagree but if there are cars running a lot quicker than 12's with a blue pump, then the flow chart I saw is incorrect then.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
So are the pumps rated at a free flow rate because once you start adding pressure, the flow rate goes down. I'm dont disagree but if there are cars running a lot quicker than 12's with a blue pump, then the flow chart I saw is incorrect then.
rated at free flow .
don't know if Holley still has the red street pump...that is all you would need

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So if I do a flow test, I should test the flow AFTER the regulator and not before it to have an accurate test?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
You are WAY over thinking this the blue pump will be fine for your car.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
So if I do a flow test, I should test the flow AFTER the regulator and not before it to have an accurate test?
before the reg .
line size is also a factor

like said , you are over thinking it . get a fuel pressure gage . at WOT if pressure steadly drops , then there is a volume problem in the system

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I run a Holley blue pump, 3/8ths line including the tank pick up tube. I leave my regulator set on 6. I had to fabricate the tank pick up myself. My car has run 11's but is in the low 12's right now.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I run the red pump on my Ranger, it's rated quite a bit less than the blue pump, and I'm running high 12s.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yeah, she'll be right mate. My 4 door, 3550 pound Falcon did high 11's on Holley Blue and 1/2 lines, and i only have a Mallory 140 at the moment and run 10.7's with that set up in the same car/same fuel lines etc.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
I ran mid 12s in a 3700 lb car with a high volume mechanical pump with stock lines. You will have NO trouble with the blue running into the 10s I would think.
You will need larger lines, like 1/2 inch to go that fast but the pump will be able to keep up.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ran mid 12s in a 3700 lb car with a high volume mechanical pump with stock lines. You will have NO trouble with the blue running into the 10s I would think.
You will need larger lines, like 1/2 inch to go that fast but the pump will be able to keep up.

Already have 1/2 fuel line with sumped fuel tank.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts