Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the C4 forum also.
Can the intermediate band strut be easily replaced?
I lost second gear in my C4 transmission last night and when I removed the pan I found one of the struts laying in the bottom.
This cant be good right?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sounds like your band probably broke and the strut falling into the pan is just a symptom, not the problem. You need to disassemble the tranny to investigate.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

CRAP!
I knew my new engine was going to kill something sooner or later but I thought the rear end would go first.
Argh

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Yep, you should be able to replace it.

Here is a file pic that shows the front band installed:

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You da man!
I was looking for a good picture like that to help identify which strut it was. Hopefully thats all thats wrong.
I am going to try and replace it today. I think I am going to install a billet servo while its apart.
Thanks

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 67falconer on 9/10/06 4:07am ]</font>

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well put it all back together with a new servo and all is good. I cant really explain why the struts fell out but they did.

All I can think of was the band was loose and a 6500 rpm shift into 2nd caused them to drop.

Oh well time to start saving for a real transmission.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
The C4 IS a real transmission!
You might need to save up for a good race build-up but that C4 will take up to 600 hp easily - it will take 1000 hp with the roller kit and the right planetaries.
Paul

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I meant a race built trans. I will stay with the C4 but need something a lot stronger since I will be running a nitrous system very shortly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts