Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of us are shocked and surprised when we go to buy a used hub cap, piece of molding, fender or wheel for our Galaxies, Fairlanes or other 60's - 70's cars.

Seems as if prices have accelerated over the last 10 -15 years...we often blame it on E-bay or greedy sellers or people with more money than brains. Whatever the cause the, there remains an unmistakable …, if you want nice stuff...it’s gonna cost ya'!

So, is it fair for us car guys (and our car gals too) to complain? Especially when we are buying and selling to each other and usually making a profit every time a part changes hands; aren’t we part of the problem?

Isn't that kind of facetious?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 2/25/06 2:02am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
I suppose it is... But, it's also human nature to biach about things that we want if we can't get them the way we want to get them...
Same goes for selling things... I have that NOS pair of 66 Galaxie Taillights on e-bay and I want them to go for some Horribly Exotic and Rediculous price like the recent crap spotted on e-bay for a Thousand or two... But Nooooooo I can't get people to bid like that on my NOS stuff...
Check it out, here's the post I put it in... >> http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/galaxie-pages/hey-galaxie-guys-fes-got-something-for-ya_49124.html
What's that? Self promotion again? Shame on me....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FEandGoingBroke on 2/25/06 2:45am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Ignore it and it will go away.. Buyers are controlling the prices. I watched a person bid on a pair of Lakewood traction bars that a guy was selling without the nuts and washers. Summit sells the exact same ones for way less than he bid. Don't figure.

·
Registered
429 Posts
The price of the cars themselves really helps drive the prices of parts. That and anything re-pop relies on volume to be cheap. That and this stuff ain't getting any younger.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8038928538

I bought that on eBay about three years ago for something in the low twenty dollar range ...

Ran it on Queenie's Camaro until about two months ago.

No longer needed it and the rest is right there to be wondered and amazed about.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MonsterMach on 2/26/06 10:40pm ]</font>

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
On 2006-02-25 16:28, FEandGoingBroke wrote:
Kind of funny you know?... My tail lights sold for $83 bucks... I have had them listed in the Classifieds here on FM for a long time at $25 bucks... and they didn't even get me an e-mail....
Yes, I've had several items on the FM classifieds. I guess noone reads them.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Popularity causes higher prices. Higher prices brings out the best in availabiliy from the aftermarket. So we give to get I guess. What seriously pi**es my off about the whole thing is that when the cars were cheap, and parts were plentifull, that I was to young to really get into the hobby with no money and whatnot. It makes me sad to think about it. If I had only graduated in 78 instead of 88 I think that wouldve been perfect. Now, there are no more cars older than 1985 in the junkyards, a basket case popular 60's car of most any kind goes for thousands of dollars, and the cars that are left are falling prey to horders and people who keep a car rotting in the back yard not because they are truelly going to fix it, but because they are just not gonna let it go. Popularity plus time will put the high dollar on any hobby.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
The ironic thing about the whole deal is, most of the cars that people are paying big bucks for today wouldn't have gotten a second glance from me when they were new, especially the mustangs. I've owned a zillion cars, mostly Fords, but none that I would have kept forever,except for a monetary investment. I guess the old saying is true, 'you don't miss the water until the well runs dry'. or something like that.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Watch "Cash In The Attic" on BBC TV sometime. It's the same all over any why (seller's especially) like auctions. you take the chance and you never know what people are going to want. The stuff you think is hot ends up a real bargain for the buyer, the junk goes for top dollar.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I have had good experiences and bad ones on e-bay. And the people that bid aren't always playing with a full deck either.

I had put a Fairlane/Galaxie console out there in pretty nice shape with a buy it now price of $250.00. It bid to over $350.00! Now why would anyone not just buy it now rather than take a chance on the bidding getting out of hand. There were three people involved in this insanity! Nuts, just plain nuts!

Later!
Mr. Ed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts