Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a "new" center section for the 9" rear end going in my '63 Ranchero. I was excited about because it is the gear ratio I think that I want (3.70), it is in excellent shape, and I got it cheap. In getting everyting ready to put in the car, however, I noticed that there is no oil fill plug in the new center section. The problem is that my housing doesn't have a oil fill plug either.

What do I do? Do you think it's possible to drill and tap the housing in order to add an oil fill plug?

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
yeah you certainly can modify the housing for a fill plug. It would be much easier to modify the housing then the diff case. get a big pipe plug and an appropriate tap and drill and go to town. Be sure to clean it all out after words.

What is real trick is to also install a drain plug on the bottom of the housing. Currrie sells a kit for that, but it requires welding. I dont see why you couldn't drill/tap in the same way for a pipe plug...though you may need to use silicone to prevent leakage.

But that way you could drain and fill without having to drop the center section out.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
not sure how close you are to chris alston's chassisworks, but they have a filler plug you put in the housing.

check chris alston at this link

http://www.cachassisworks.com

It is part number 8040 and cost about $30. If you install it properly, it also allows you to view the ring gear for cracks or chipped teeth.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
67Stang, I doubt if the housing is thick enough to use a pipe plug without something thicker welded to it for proper seating of the taper of a pipe plug threads.

Another method of filling the housing is to remove the axle vent (it does have a vent on one of the axle tubes? if not, you need to add one.) and pour oil in that way.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Moroso pt# 85280, $19.50 from Summit. Its a plug you weld in. Comes with cap, bung, and O-ring.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Yes it is very easy to put one in. The one from summet is easy just weld it on good all the way around were you want it then make the hole to the inside diameter with a drill and a die grinder. Here are a couple of pictures to help one no bung the other with bung no hole yet very easy.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Coolfalcon on 2/23/02 2:37am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I had the same problem years ago.Just pour the oil in one of the axle tubes before you slide the axle in.It helps if the opposite side axle is in and the open side is jacked up a little to tilt the housing so the oil flows in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts