Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Frame? Both are unibody ... no frame...with subframes for the front suspension.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Sure you could. Break out the plasma cutter, welder, etc.... I dont know if the wheel bases are compatible, but thats just a cut and weld away.... In all honesty though, it could be done, but you run the extreme risk of ruining two cars and ending up with a car that has many problems such as stance, body flex, handling, etc.....Not to mention tons of $$$ involved.

Look at this site -
http://www.spkorb.org/suprang.html
Its a mustang spliced onto a toyota supra suspension/irs. Not that I totally condone such work, but it is interesting none the less.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChicoB on 7/9/03 10:15am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChicoB on 7/9/03 10:37am ]</font>

·
Registered
493 Posts
The basic design of Mustangs hasn't changed that much since introduction. They are still about the same size overall, with a unibody / subframe design and rear wheel drive.

You wouldn't know it by looking at them side-by-side, but the overall dimensions including wheelbase and height / width isn't that much different now than it was since '64. My '67 has a wheelbase of 108 inches, an overall length of 183.6 inches and a 'shipping weight' of 2605 pounds.

The last mustang in my most recent 'catalog' book is the 2001 which has a wheelbase of 101.3 inches, an overall length of 183.2 inches and a shipping weight of around 3200 pounds.

My answer to your question is: you can go the 'restomod' route. Install a 5.0 EFI & 5 speed or AOD in a classic mustang and what you've basically got is a mid-nineties Mustang drivetrain within a classic shell. You could probably even fit a current 4.6 or 5.4 modular engine in there if you wanted to. All the modern accessories like power windows are available and easy to install in a '60's Mustang if you want them.

Plus, my '67 is about 600 pounds lighter than '90's through current Mustangs, so it's easier to get a good power to weight ratio. Mine averages over 20 mpg on the freeway, and is surprisingly quick even with a completely stock '91 5.0 EFI & 4-speed AOD in it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok well that was my original idea was to put a 4.6 into the 68 just going through engine options.But found out the 4.6 is wider than any fe big block and its about the same size as a 429 now it weighs in at over 600 pounds.Shock towers would have to go a mustang 2 suspension would then have to fabed in and there was also a problem with the turning radius of the wheels since the bottom of the block is so damn wide the wheels would slap against it when turning.Now the 5.4 motor doesnt sound bad at all i havnet done that much research about them because of the cost of the motor.now i think it would be one hell of an experience to chop the the towers take them and add the mustang 2 susp. and put a 4.6 into it but since i'm just starting out with hardly any cash i'll propably just end putting a hot 5.0 cobra with aod in it and call it cause i have future projects for more mustangs like building a replica scca 67-68 cars and building a 68 bullit fastback or building a nostalic mid 60's mustang funny car with the firewall pushed back and to have that whole g force thing going on.What can i say i'm mustang freak

·
Registered
809 Posts
The 4.6 SOHC will fit in a '67-'73 Stang. I've seen a '68 Cougar with one, very close but the shock towers were not cut. At any rate I wouldn't reccomend it, get a 5.0 or 5.8 and life would be a lot simpler.

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Anything can be done I suppose, but that one could bring likes of Troy Trepanier to tears. You'd do much better putting a fuel-injected 5.0, AOD or T5, & 9" in a car and put all the "G-machine" goodies into it that are out on the market. It's still a ton of work and $ but a lot better than creating some Frankenstein. And in the long run it might even handle better than a new Mustang.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts