Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few month ago, I was able to go up to 7000 rpm. Now when I get to 6300 rpm it dies like I'm hitting the Rev limiter.
I have no ignition box and Comp hydraulic lifter. I adjusted the rocker arms to 1/4 turn and still no improvement.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
either that or the mixture is a little fat. Now that the weather is warmer, the fat mixture is even fatter...making the problem worse. I deal with this every year at this time with ATVs (specifically the new 450cc sport ATVs...VERY sensitive carbs)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mavman on 6/23/06 10:58am ]</font>

·
Registered
681 Posts
try changing your plugs.
i had a cougar that used to eat plugs every few weeks would go from 6500 to 5000 change plugs it would be fine fore a while.
turned out to be the coil i changed that and it was fine

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 68sportcoup on 6/23/06 11:09pm ]</font>

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Sounds like valve float, but could be ignition. Need to check both. Hyd cams aren't the best over 6500.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I had a similar proplem. Turned out several of the lifters had started to fail. Changed them and away I go!

·
Registered
991 Posts
7k on a hydraulic is a no-no, they run a very soft spring pressure, that pressure will deteriorate quickly

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How do I know if the lifters are failing? I notes that they are hard all the time even when the engine has sat for a few days. before the pressure use to dissipate and the lifters will had the soft cushioning from the internal spring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts