Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, A friend of mine has a case of old R12, I think a case is 12 cans but I'm not sure about that. He wants to sell it to me and 5 years ago I had my AC recharged with R12 in my 66 and it cost me $50 a can!

Is it worth buying this R12 and how much would it be worth?

I've heard R12 isn't worth as much now because there's R414 that replaces it in our really old AC systems and they don't have to be converted over to R134.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
R12 kicks butt, however I wouldn't use it due to cost anymore. I did conversions in south Florida for 100° and 100% humidity, and the conversions would freeze you out. You need the fittings, proper oil, and most importantly - the proper metering valve. That's what makes the conversion work well. You can make conversions work quite well without changing the metering valve, but your pressure needs to be altered for best expansion in the evaporator. That tends to reduce cooling compared to R12 (well, duh, it was metered for R12), but is still good enough for moderate climates, and works even in warm climates except on the hottest of days.

If doing a conversion without changing metering, I found no magic pressures, and each system needed to be set for best expansion centered in the evaporator. If that pressure was too cold and it iced-over (and most will), then raise the pressure a bit until it stops icing. Folks were amazed to see the conversions blowing cold visible fog from the vents on a properly done system, for a lot less cash than R12.
:tup:
David

·
Registered
830 Posts
R-414b hot shot will work, but you need to change the oil out for Alkabenzene type, as the mineral oil is not compatble. the pressure-temp relationship is real close to R-12.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sounds to me like the R12 is still worth using if you don't want any worries about changing over. I'll have to talk to the guys at the garage and see if they can even evac the system to change over.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts