Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 76 351w block out of a van, and I want to build a torque monster. I was thinking of a cast 4.18 crank with some I beam 6.2 rods and flat top forged or hypertech pistons for a grand sounding 427 cubes. Just a small Hyd cam and some good heads with an air gap intake and headers should make a nice streetable grocery getter for an old man like me. I was curious as if the stock block would work. If not then Ill have to use less cubes because I am stuck with either this 351w block or an 88 5.0 roller block at 331 cubes. I really want to use the 351w block though. any thoughts?.....bob

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
The stock block should work ok if you don't get too crazy with the hp.You can also build some slightly smaller combo's 393,408,418 that are still much bigger than a 331....

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
you can build a 427 from a 351w block, but i think a 393 or 408 would be a better set up overall. either would make about the same torque as a 427, but there wold be less stress on the block itself.

·
Registered
991 Posts
The block is fine, but for a nice easy bolt together type of windsor I would do a 408 with a forged piston.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts