Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, in PAW they have a TRW block Kit for $1495 for either the 302 or the 351W. I was thinking about getting the 351, More cubes at the same price. But is it a direct fit into a 66 mustang? I have Windsor Jr heads that i would like to use on it. Also an Edelbrock Air-gap intake. Will these fit no problem? bought both used in good condition (heads were not used, but bought them from a swapmeet.) Will everything else fit? My T-5 will line right up right? Hood clearences? My hooker Supercomps? Fuel pump, alternater? Will there be any clearnce problems with the flat top TRW's and my Windsor's? thanks

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also i just ordered a cam from PAW, for my 302, will this work in a 351W? just change the distributor to fire at the 302 order?

·
Programmer
856 Posts
I'm getting ready to do that swap myself. The 351w is on the engine stand now. I have a 66 stang, as my nickname implies
I say get the 351.. The heads will work, the intake if designed for a 302 will not. The tranny should hookup just fine. The 351w is a bit taller than a 302, not sure how much but some people say a scoop may be necessary. You will probably have to get conversion headers for the swap. My biggest problem now is finding 351w brackets for my alt/PS...

Chris

·
Registered
44 Posts
The 302 cam will not work in the 351. They have a different firing order. I can't remember exactly why ford changed it but it was for good reason.

·
Registered
59 Posts
They changed the order to eliminate vibration. You could use the 302 cam but then you have to change the dist firing order as well. But the 351 has a better order so I would sell the cam on ebay(you may get more than you paid for it) and get a 351 cam. Also the 351W with headers is a tight squeeze in a 65/66 Stang but will fit with a shoehorn.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 68StangJurls on 5/15/02 3:47am ]</font>

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I ran a 302 cam and later switched to a 351 cam in one of my mavericks. Didnt notice any difference whatsoever. Ford supposedly changed the order to "minimize crankshaft loading." It supposedly takes the load off of the front rod pin on the crankshaft(look at the firing order--1&5 fire right next to each other, also the same for 2&6.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts