Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to completely drain and flush the coolant on my 170.

Is there a coolant drain plug on the block?

Thanks

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I alrady have one of those kit.

The engine is in the car. My past experience with flushing is that some of rust deposits will only come out through the coolant drain plug on the block.

·
Registered
634 Posts
It's located on right side between the starter and exhaust out let. There may be just a pipe plug capping it of if you don't see a drain. I just now checked on a 65 200 that is sitting in my shop.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found it. Thanks "64 Futura" !!!

I my 1977 Chevy 350, it also had two pipe plugs. I just screwed two hose barbs and ran hoses out the to a ditch. Ran garden hose to the thermostat housing and was able get almost all of the rust and deposit out the block after draining the coolant first. It works much better than the Prestone kit.

Waid

·
Registered
634 Posts
Found it. Thanks "64 Futura" !!!

I my 1977 Chevy 350, it also had two pipe plugs. I just screwed two hose barbs and ran hoses out the to a ditch. Ran garden hose to the thermostat housing and was able get almost all of the rust and deposit out the block after draining the coolant first. It works much better than the Prestone kit.

Waid

You are welcome. The engine is out so i was able to check both sides and that's all i found.---Jim--:tup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts