Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if there is a program or formula for figuring out which final drive gear ratio will get a car through the 1/4 mile in the fastest time. I know there would be lots of variabls that would change with every ratio, traction being the biggest. But is there something that, at least, would work assuming nothing changes except gear ratio?

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Try PreStage.Com theres lots of neat stuff here.Hope this helps

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: frdnut on 2/28/02 7:08am ]</font>

·
Registered
190 Posts
On 2002-02-27 10:23, Mouse wrote:
I was wondering if there is a program or formula for figuring out which final drive gear ratio will get a car through the 1/4 mile in the fastest time. I know there would be lots of variabls that would change with every ratio, traction being the biggest. But is there something that, at least, would work assuming nothing changes except gear ratio?
A few others have already posted responses, but there are some calculators you may find helpful at:

http://www.superford.org/garage/calculators/index.php

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you WD! The Richmond Drag Performance calculator is just what I was looking for.

Good news is my present 3.55 gears are just right for my setup, if the calculator is accurate. Bad news is the calculator says I am a full 1 second slow. Must be those street radials.

Thanks erlong and NitroStangGirl for your input too.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mouse on 3/2/02 9:34pm ]</font>

·
Registered
278 Posts
Glad to help.

I don't know how accurate the Richmond drag calculator is, since my car is not ready yet. It looks a little optimistic to me. I am hoping to run high 11s with 400 FWHP 306, 3.89 gears and 27" tires.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts