Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stroked Windsor 418ci, Factory 1969 block, 12.5:1, AFR 205, Scat Forged 4.10 crank, Scat H-Beam 6.20 rods, JE forged flat top pistons, Total Seal Gapless rings, 248/254 .614/.621 110 sep (Comp XR286R), 825 cfm Mighty Demon, Victor Jr. matched intake, FPA 1.75" headers, MSD distributor & 6AL.

Rearwheel HP:[email protected] Torque:[email protected]
1/4 Mile:11.17 MPH:124 60ft:1.71 (Only 4 runs to date)

What are your best guesstimates on HP at the flywheel?
Any areas that could benefit from changes (engine wise)?
This is in a 67 mustang with a tired C4 and full interior.
I'm in CA and looking for a trans builder too...

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have NO good feelings about rwhp, but try and use this for example. 667 HP,3000 lbs.10.2-10.3 at 132 mph. 408 cubic inch, pump gas, C -4 trans-85 Mustang race only. My own experience when comparing flywheel to rear wheel HP, there is NO real hard relationship between the two. When a guy told me he put 20 lbs more air in his rear tires, the rwhp went up by over 20 HP. That cant be right. JOE SHERMAN RACING

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have NO good feelings about rwhp, but try and use this for example. 667 HP,3000 lbs.10.2-10.3 at 132 mph. 408 cubic inch, pump gas, C -4 trans-85 Mustang race only. My own experience when comparing flywheel to rear wheel HP, there is NO real hard relationship between the two. When a guy told me he put 20 lbs more air in his rear tires, the rwhp went up by over 20 HP. That cant be right. JOE SHERMAN RACING

·
Registered
865 Posts

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Did you get a/f ratio readings on the dyno? BSFC and VE readings?

How much does the car weigh?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mstngjoe on 10/4/06 7:57pm ]</font>

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no, no, and no, about 3100 w/ driver.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have some questions. Did you have to go up (6) sizes on your carb jets ?? How high can you rev it up ??. What is your RPM at the finish line ??What is the total timing you have been running ??After you post some replys, I will try to help you out. JOE SHERMAN RACING

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no, the carb ran great right out of the box, it LOOKED a bit rich if anything on the chassis dyno...RPM at finish approx 6,200...timing info I'll have to dig up, I had Joe of Joe Boghosian Racing give me some pointers for curving it properly and I've played with the timing a LITTLE at the track and have it pretty dialed in IMHO. Let me get the dyno graphs too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Never tryed to rev it as high as it would go....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BTW on the 11.17 run I had to let off a bit for 3rd to grab and it comes out of the hole like a lazy old dog with my old 2800 stall. Thats why I'm looking for a new trans and TC.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
No reason to try and rev it as "high as it will go".......... Looks like a good racing convertor will really help here. Something in the 4500-5000 rpm range. Maybe a little more gear, something in the 4.10 range. My guess would be that will get your 60' times into the 1.4's maybe a little better if the car works right.

·
Registered
162 Posts
yes there is power to be gained .
First off you have a set of heads that peak flow at .6 to.7 ,
your spending very little time at max lift and not getting all your heads flow over a certain amount of usable time. You have enough compression but need a larger lift cam , you might not want to install a cam with larger lift but it will make more power. IF you had .700-.735 lift with the same duration -look out. the stroke is fine, heads fow well and the 4.100 stroke is working the hell out of the port, you just need more cfm (head flow over an extended period of time, remember the valve passes all lift points twice. the longer and higher you open the valve the more air and gas will pass. A new c-4 rollerized will help with a larger stall 3800-4200 with that cam and some gear, I had a 10 inch tire car , leafsprings with southside lift bars cutting 1.46 60 fts off idle
with a 351 C and a big converter. 6.57 was best 1/8 mile et and average was 6.60-6.62 at 103-104.5 and that was a 3.5 stroke, port stuffed 4v heads 235 cc runner 312 cfm at .7 lift, nothing fancy, just a bowl blend and good valve job.. your heads flow much better at all lifts with a smaller port+ velocity

Scene a guy here in Houston run afr 225 heads on 454 small block ford 6600 shift point 5.96's 1/8 mile 2850 lb car
the motor made no more hp at 7000 than it did at 5800, the motor had used all the heads up and cam was done also.

so.the choice is yours

Mike S

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
6,800 through the traps sorry, and the timing 14 initial 34 total, all in at 2,000 rpm. I'm trying to figure out how to post a pdf of the dyno run....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can anyone explain why desktop dyno shows no increases with a bigger cam...I know real world experience is 10X better than desktop but is there any merit it believing the VE of the AFR 205 heads is high enough to not require a bigger cam to fill the bores sufficiently.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Just my opinion but your biggest ET gains are going to be found in reducing your 60' times and going to a larger cam may not be a wise choice untill you get some more gear, trans/convertor and chassis work to complement what you have.

You are already making decent power now you need to use it !!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts