Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
70 Intake, 72 block, 73 Heads.

I just got a Mercury Montorey ,someone put a 460 with a C6 tranny.The engine was rebuilt,but has never been started .I need a 4barrel carb,, fuelpump and what kind of distributor does it take.. The man said it had domed piston, 3/4 cam (hearsay) Thanks for your time and help.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
D0OE-C intake

429SCJ

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Any 335 or 385 series engine distributor will work....

MRO.....

·
Registered
146 Posts
That sounds like an decent street combo. The motor could be either a 429 or a 460. Both engines shared the same block. Heads, intakes, dizzys, etc. will interchange between the 429 and 460. Basically a 460 is a bored and stroked 429. The only way to tell is to drop the pan and get the p/n off the crank.

Based on what I've read, all 385 series blocks are basically the same, with the exception of the 4 bolt main SCJ blocks. Some later block reportedly have heavier casting around the mains.

I don't think the intakes changed much throughout production. There are some exceptions (CJ intake, revised ports to match the CJ heads, cast for a Q-jet carb).

The D3VE heads are later style heads with larger combustion chambers. Early heads (C9VE, D0VE, D1VE) have smaller chambers and will raise compression. D2VE heads are junk. Your domed pistons will help compensate for the larger heads.

Two more thoughts.....

The 460 was basically unchanged throughout production, except for smog crap and FI (fuel injection). You can get fuel pumps anywhere. Get a stock replacement fuel pump from any pre-FI full sized truck with a 460.

Try to find a Duraspark dizzy, coil, and control box from the JY, and ditch the points. These came in every truck and car with a 460 between ~76 through ~86 (or whenever FI came into play on the 460). Electronic ignition is awesome. Its a little bit of wiring, but well worth it.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! My brother who is a wheeler/dealer, said I made a good trade . I could part it out for around $2,000.00. I'd rather put a little money/ time into it and drive it.All else FAILS I'll have some bucket seat for "SnoWhite" and a 9'' rearend. It has all the chrome,tail light,extra rocker panels . Who know after I get it runnin maybe I can TRADE it for something else..

Attachments

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
That sounds like an decent street combo. The motor could be either a 429 or a 460. Both engines shared the same block. Heads, intakes, dizzys, etc. will interchange between the 429 and 460. Basically a 460 is a bored and stroked 429. The only way to tell is to drop the pan and get the p/n off the crank.

Based on what I've read, all 385 series blocks are basically the same, with the exception of the 4 bolt main SCJ blocks. Some later block reportedly have heavier casting around the mains.

I don't think the intakes changed much throughout production. There are some exceptions (CJ intake, revised ports to match the CJ heads, cast for a Q-jet carb).

The D3VE heads are later style heads with larger combustion chambers. Early heads (C9VE, D0VE, D1VE) have smaller chambers and will raise compression. D2VE heads are junk. Your domed pistons will help compensate for the larger heads.

Two more thoughts.....

The 460 was basically unchanged throughout production, except for smog crap and FI (fuel injection). You can get fuel pumps anywhere. Get a stock replacement fuel pump from any pre-FI full sized truck with a 460.

Try to find a Duraspark dizzy, coil, and control box from the JY, and ditch the points. These came in every truck and car with a 460 between ~76 through ~86 (or whenever FI came into play on the 460). Electronic ignition is awesome. Its a little bit of wiring, but well worth it.
you said a 460 is a bored and stroked 429 .- not true

can aways use a coat hangeror any straight thin rod to find the stroke

there are no bbf 385's heads with a D1 head number

also Some wrong info on the blocks , don't believe everything you read , you can believe this post .

but you gave good advice going to a D/Spark

·
Registered
146 Posts
That would have been good info to share down in post #5 instead of commenting about pink paint on a SCJ intake...

If you want to pick knits, I have all day.

I said basically, a 460 is a bored and stroked 429. They share all other dimensions, mounting/bell housing holes, rods, oiling system, cooling system, etc... If you have a 429, you can make it into a 460 by using a 460s crank and pistons.

In regards to the D1Ve heads, I've never seen one myself, but Im going to believe the people over at 460ford.

The D0VE block definately have the heavier main webbing. Now I'm second guessing about the later blocks. Ill double check when I get home.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Only issue might be if it has domed pistions. Flattop pistons with open chamber heads are on the hight compression side. D3 heads usally had -22cc dished pistons. If the pistons are domed running pump premium could be an issue. Flat tops with open chambers heads should work with pump premium.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
What you taling about dan? He simply put up a pic of the intake Lester has on his 460 he just picked up in a free or nearly free car.

He wants to know if those parts are a good combination in a 460.

Can you give him some clues about a 460 build with those heads and that block?
fe , I thought the klutz was showing off his intake manifold and showing what color it will be .

the op has an intake , sure he know what it looks like . plus the op only knows - in his words "hearsay" needs to confirm what he has

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Only difference between a 429 and 460 is the pistons and crank. everything else fits each other. Better dist is the duraspark ones. If it has points you can gut a duraspark and put it in that way. 351M and 400 are the same dist. But not a 351W or 351C.
Domed piston??? Pricey for a street built. 3/4 cam, that flathead engine talk.
The heads use bolt down roller arm fulcrum that are a 5/16" bolt, works but weak. The heads exhaust to put it nicely, SUCK A BIG ONE! Port the exhaust out and you'll get an easy 40HP right there. If you want roller rocker arms, BBC dare I say, fit and work just fine and usually are cheaper. You'll never miss the small lose of lift. 1.7 vice 1.76
Easy test for the stroke, pull a front plug and hand jack the engine over using a wire in the plug hole to measure the stroke. If it's 3.85,= 460, if just over 3 1/2" a 429.
The DOOE-C intake, is SCJ stuff. Sell it to a SCJ guy and get a Edlebrock Performer. Lighter 30lbs, and works just as well if not better. Carb street 750 is best, 850 is worth 20 HP because they like the air. If it has a 73+ timing chain they are 4 degs retarded from the factory for smog. That's why you see them listed by years. They do like 4 degs advanced for street.
In 85 or 86 time frame they made the FI 460, different heads and intake, real junk parts.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Only difference between a 429 and 460 is the pistons and crank. everything else fits each other. Better dist is the duraspark ones. If it has points you can gut a duraspark and put it in that way. 351M and 400 are the same dist. But not a 351W or 351C.
Domed piston??? Pricey for a street built. 3/4 cam, that flathead engine talk.
The heads use bolt down roller arm fulcrum that are a 5/16" bolt, works but weak. The heads exhaust to put it nicely, SUCK A BIG ONE! Port the exhaust out and you'll get an easy 40HP right there. If you want roller rocker arms, BBC dare I say, fit and work just fine and usually are cheaper. You'll never miss the small lose of lift. 1.7 vice 1.76
Easy test for the stroke, pull a front plug and hand jack the engine over using a wire in the plug hole to measure the stroke. If it's 3.85,= 460, if just over 3 1/2" a 429.
The DOOE-C intake, is SCJ stuff. Sell it to a SCJ guy and get a Edlebrock Performer. Lighter 30lbs, and works just as well if not better. Carb street 750 is best, 850 is worth 20 HP because they like the air. If it has a 73+ timing chain they are 4 degs retarded from the factory for smog. That's why you see them listed by years. They do like 4 degs advanced for street.
In 85 or 86 time frame they made the FI 460, different heads and intake, real junk parts.
351C and the 351W with a gear change can be used in the 429/460 engines

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
That would have been good info to share down in post #5 instead of commenting about pink paint on a SCJ intake...

If you want to pick knits, I have all day.

I said basically, a 460 is a bored and stroked 429. They share all other dimensions, mounting/bell housing holes, rods, oiling system, cooling system, etc... If you have a 429, you can make it into a 460 by using a 460s crank and pistons.

In regards to the D1Ve heads, I've never seen one myself, but Im going to believe the people over at 460ford.

The D0VE block definately have the heavier main webbing. Now I'm second guessing about the later blocks. Ill double check when I get home.
you got all day ? thats great , I also have all day .
by the way what is an engine ? I got one in my car ?

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
I don't want to get in the middle of a good banter, but a 460 is a stroked 429, not bored and stroked.

They are both 4.36 bore, only the stroke is different

·
Registered
146 Posts
I stand corrected. It's not bored, but 429 and 460 pistons have different compression height. So, swapping pistons is not a good idea.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
I stand corrected. It's not bored, but 429 and 460 pistons have different compression height. So, swapping pistons is not a good idea.
swap 429 pistons into a 460 was a great idea ... at one time

·
Registered
674 Posts
Chevy BB rockers do more than screw up the lift also the geomety is different. The more lift and duration the more messed up it becomes.
Engines after 71 might be 72 are 7* retarded ... FI engines went back to straight up.
Best to find out what dome you have. If there realy stock flat tops or reverse dome lift mostly on the intake is limited to a bout .515 lift.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts