Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Comp Cam Ford 268 268 494 494 High Energy Camshaft SK Kit 390 427 428 FE | eBay

i finally got the 390 completely tore apart and finally getting to check everything out.

the engine turned freely, but i didn't get to know that until it was on the stand.......the spark plugs were still in the heads, the engine still help oil and antifreeze. so far, checking everything out, things seem fine. i see some pits on the camshaft lobes, but no scoring on the cylinders or bearings.

i planned to just build a very mild engine and not go overboard, but never really planned to chnage the camshaft. now i am thinking edelbrock intake and aluminum waterpump along with a cam, and hoping to use a holley 750. (i bought headers at the columbus swap meet last week)

will the carb be too much?
does the camshaft price seem to be right?
why are intakes so much more expensive for FE's?

thanks for any help. i bought a lot of books and can't wait for them to get here.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Kenny

That price is Ok for that camshaft and if yours has pits you need to replace it if you are doing a rebuilt...no brainer there. A 750 Holley will be OK with the 390, since you appear to be going a little bit more than stock. FE parts are more expensive because the demand is just not there like it is for the 302/351 and SCB motors (I know..shouldn't have mentioned a Chevy....). Less demand means they make less of them and thus the higher prices.

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
I was looking at a 268H, wondered if it would be okay with power brakes. Finally went with a stock one off ebay for $25. After you get her idling, wil you let us know what the vacuum is?

Yeah FE headers and intakes are pretty expensive and then to make matters worse they leak a lot. On the other hand almost everything on FEs interchange, from the fan clutch to the rear seal, from the 332 to the 428, from 1959 to 1974. So that's pretty handy.

Good luck!

·
Registered
52 Posts
cam price seems ok 10$ cheaper than summit. Do some research you might want the k-kit with the springs.Not sure on FE's but there is a possibility of coil bind with the extra lift. Jetted properly the 750 will work fine. IMHO a 650 might provide better reponse and drivability unless of course you are trying to squeeze out every last bit of power. Hopefully an FE guru will chime in and tell you whats best.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
thanks guys.

I picked up the 750 for pretty cheap, so I took it.

I already have a stock "600" from my old '85 gt.

I also have 2 '63 thunderbird 4100's.

I think I WILL be going with the big kit with new springs and keepers.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
This is the same cam I have in my 390 and I love it!
When I got the cam, I asked my machinist about the springs and he said yes; the stock ones would bind. I got the springs and new keepers and he had to do some cutting on the head to allow for the springs..just don't recall where he cut them down.

·
Premium Member
3,934 Posts
A 268H is a very good cam for a mild 390.

Combined with a headers, a nice exhaust, and a 4 barrel it will run very well.

Be sure to get matching springs if they don't come with it, and if you have two piece valve retainers, be sure to upgrade to single piece. Stock 2 piece were very heavy

The stock springs actually can handle the lift, the issue is the ramps are so much quicker and the stockers are typically old and worn out, so valve float comes way too soon. Much safer to spend money on a set of springs.

If on a budget, these are very nice street springs and should work well for the application, I have used them many times

FE FORD VALVE SPRING KIT, DROP IN FIT, 7 DEGREE, 352-428

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I ordered it....
I think I have finally been immersed in the reality of FE's...

what was supposed to be a budget build of a stock engine simply transplanted into an older car became something pretty expensive.

I didn't order the spring kit yet. All of my bearings came in today, but I don't have everything cleaned up and ready. I am pretty worn out from working in the cold, and to add to the money, a friend of mine is trying to talk me into a bead blast cabinet.

I'm sure that will lead to it's own list of add ons like a bigger compressor and more line, or trying to upgrade electrical etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts