Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I want opinions, good or bad. Whatever you may think of this engine combo. Keep in mind this will be a street engine with NO racing. So it needs low to mid-range power and not high rpm horsepower. I normally build 6's, this is my first V8.

Ford Racing shortblock 6009-B50, one of the left over Explorer assemblies. It comes with the high torque Explorer cam. Intake .422", Exhaust .448" Intake 256º, Exhaust 266º 116º Lobe Separation. If I use 1.7 roller rockers I should get about – Intake .449", Exhaust .476". I have a set of GT40P heads and an EFI intake with 19lb injectors from a 92 Mustang. The heads have 59cc chambers for a compression of about 9.5:1. I will use under drive pulleys and maybe an electric water pump. This will be teamed with a T5, headers, cross over and low restriction mufflers and 3.25 gears. If I have done the math right I "think" I'll end up with 250-300hp and tons of torque.

So does this sound like a decent street engine or a pile of crap? The only changes I can see would be maybe the E303 cam and 1.6 rockers. Ford Racing tech support told me not to go over .500 lift with this short block.

Thanks for your opinions!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Sounds fine for what you want.

How much more would a cast 347 be? They're fairly cheap and will have a bunch more power where you want it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
19lb./hr injectors will be hard pressed if you do anything else with it, they'll be too deep in the duty cycle as the R's increase. You can crutch it with an AFPR, but the right thing to do to keep it all good unda the hood is to pop for a set of #24 lb. right now, and tune with the injectors you'll keep for a while.

Check installed piston to valve clearance, too -- you might be getting close enough for kissin' with the high ratio rockers.

Good luck!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, I was worried I had picked a bad part or two. I wanted to go AFR 162 heads but I have two teenage boys so money is tight. The GT40P's flow very well, as good as Cobras depending on who you talk to. The injectors I have be a little unsure about. If I go 24# won't I need a Cobra computer? And it won't like the Explorer cam. But a Mustang computer might handle the cam better but I don't know about the 24# injectors.

Anyway, with thousands of parts and hundreds of combinations I'm glad I picked one that you all think will work. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts