original 351 cleveland all matching numbers with a 4 speed
transmission. Now i was told there was only 103 351's made in that
year with the 4-speed as an option is that true? To be honest i dont
know much about it I am 19 years old and currently attending Wyotech
in Pennsylvania. Where i got the car in Ohio there is also a 1968 olds
442 holiday coupe with 12,000 original miles, car is a little rough
but the right person could make lots of money off of it (first
thousand bucks takes it.)If not the person said it will rust. I would
hate to see that. I appreciate all the feedback i can get.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Try not to veiw it as a matter of money. Cars ordered special, one of one optioned cars are only worth as much as some one is willing to pay.
The Olds MIGHT be worth $1,000, but I gave $600 for my '72 GTS torino , 351c 4v CJ 4 speed. And it was all there except the glass was knocked out of it.
The '70 Torino sounds like a good bargin, assuming the unibody is still ok. Look over the frame rails, and the torque boxes close. Is it a fastback or a notchback roof?
Those cars are alot of fun, parts are available.
Drew

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car is a fastback, Grabber Yellow i beleive is the code name. I have half of the build sheet, the other half a rat got to. The body is in nice shape, 1 hole in the trunk bottom from the damn exhaust going through it when i was putting it on the trailer. Floor pans im going to replace and the front bucket seats need re-upholstered. Its a good thing i know how to do body work and paint.

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
There were more then that, but the issue is the rust. Ohio is a rusty state. If you can check it out completely, under the carpets, fender wells, firewall, cowling, etc and she's in good shape you'll make some money off it. Best thing if you do want to resale it, pull all the brakes apart and take pictures of them, get the info off the diff, trans and engine tags, take pictures of the possible rust areas for people to see what you have. But clean it before you take the pictures. Even if it's rusted. Check under the front seats or dash for the build sheet. Power wash the engine and suspension and take pictures of it. Don't spray paint anything, people thing you're hiding something. List what doesn't work on it. You're coming into a better season to sell it with taxes coming back and winter getting over. Take pictures of the car and not with some girl laying all over it. Put a reserve on it to get what ever you put in it back. List it on ebay. Make sure you have a CLEAR title. Should have it changed to your name before you even try and sell it. A title that is questionable will cost you potential buyers faster then anything.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Ditto on the title, if anything it will just lower the price. Judging by your description, it is a pretty rusty car. You may get more money parting it out if thats what you are really interested in. A 70 cleveland would have high comp heads if its the 4v heads which are fairly desireable.

If the car is solid, you got a good deal. I paid 5k for my torino in '99 and it has a couple of issues, but it is overall very solid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The car is solid. Very few rust spots. Only the two bucket seat need re-done, besides the carpet and headliner. I am a body man so it is nothing new to me. I appreciate the feedback.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: McDonald on 3/8/06 2:30pm ]</font>

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just my .02 worth...IMHO you got your money worth in having a complete 351C , 4-Speed Tranny and the 9inch Rear End and Housing assembly.

Price those items alone with Perogie...and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Sounds like a bargain to me....as a project or as piece parts.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Well, if nothing else, it sounds like you can bring her back to life, and maybe find a new home for her. Beats parting it and scrapping a car that can never be replaced!

·
Registered
813 Posts
All this talk about parting it out when it has been stated that the rust is minimal, is un-nerving!!
Yes a 351C 4V and 4speed is a very desirable powertrain combo.
And the fact that the car is a GT is also very good. A GT is to a Torino what a SS is to a Chevelle....its just better!!
For $800, I'd say you stole that thing!!!
Try buying a real Chevelle SS for $800

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TorinoStyle2 on 3/10/06 9:51am ]</font>

·
Registered
74 Posts
Easy Sport....My reply was not a suggestion to part the car out....I was trying to tell the new owner that's he's gotten his money worth and then some , no matter what he elects to do with it?

I'm the first one to say....Restore it....as far too many cars meet the crusher that shouldn't have.

If the car was a total rusted out mess thats beyond economical repair?....Thats another story.

Having spent a year in Pennsylvania myself....I know what even a few short years can do to a car there...but if this is a true survivor? I'd say restore it to its former glory...or at least do what your budget will allow to make owning it fun. That's what its all about anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.