Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a long time since I seen a new set of bearings. What do you see in these pics? It's a 5-speed car if that means anything.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Is it typical as in all is good? I don't remember if there was exposed copper out of the box on the thrust side.
No, it would not be exposed. It is typical of high mileage motor though. not a really bad thing, almost all of the engines i have taken apart had that on them. And the one's I knew were runners didn't have any issues

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
No, it would not be exposed. It is typical of high mileage motor though. not a really bad thing, almost all of the engines i have taken apart had that on them. And the one's I knew were runners didn't have any issues
you ever build a new engine with hiigh performance bearings .? you can say No now .

op, lot of thrust bearings don't have the overlay

·
Registered
691 Posts
you ever build a new engine with hiigh performance bearings .? you can say No now .

op, lot of thrust bearings don't have the overlay
All the bearings I have seen have odd wear patterns on the thrust bearings, showing me that they had a coating at one point. OP didn't say what kind of bearings, how many miles, or any other information.

Haven't seen it all yet, however. :)

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Looks normal.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
they look real good. Did you put the engine together?

Yeah, I put it together. I had the mains line honed for stud bolts. My crank was ground .010" as well. So everything was ready to go when I put it together.

I measured my bores last week, and the worst one was out maybe .002" measuring at any spot top, middle or bottom, so I'm good there. I hit them with a 400 grit Flex-Hone brush and their recommended hone oil. I'm real satisfied with the results I got! They look great, and it was pretty easy. I'll re-ring it again with some plasma moly's.

I'm painting parts right now. Here's a few, but there's a ton of small parts and bolts that I've done already. Scaping, washing, and painting parts is hard work!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts