Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently changed my intake to an edelbrock F351C, my carb to an edelbrock 1405, and put headman headers on my 1970 351C 2V. It had a 2bbl carb which has be upgraded to a 4bbl. I also have an HEI distributor on it. When reassembling everything I pulled the #1 spark plug and placed my finger over
the hole while i bumped the engine. Once I felt the blow from the compression stroke I rotated the engine to 0 on the balancer. The engine cranked right up and ran ok, I tried to set the timing a little better with my timing light and I guess I retarded it too much and it died out. I tried advancing it to get it to start with no luck. I pulled the distributor and reset it like I had before. Now it turns over and backfires thru the carb then dies out immediately. I've tried resetting it multiple times with no luck, I even thought it could be out 180 deg so i set it 180 degree off with now luck. I've rechecked the firing order multiple times, I'm all out of ideas. any help?

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
I can tell you to do it right and all will be well, or I can say do it again and again until you do it right, but I'll just look like a dik for saying it, so I won't. ;)

Ensure Compression, Bring to TDC by HAND and use a small dowl or long thin screwdriver to see when the piston reaches TDC and starts to go back down, THEN you know where you are at, don't rely too much on the timing mark until you KNOW it's good.

Then stab your dist WHEREVER THE HELL YOU WANT :). Take all the plug wires off the cap and wire it from where the ROTOR is currently pointing, in the correct direction and in the proper order.

Then you can start the car and warm it up and fine adjust your timing with your light.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
That's the ticket. To get the GM HEI aligned dead-on, follow FE's instructions, and set the pointed parts of the reluctor and stator in alignment with each other. This is where the coil will fire. So, TDC #1 (remember, that's passenger-side front cylinder on a Ford) on compression, align points, wire it with #1 plug wire where the rotor is pointing, and go.

In-fact, if you set it at 10° BTC when you do this, you will be at base timing or within a couple degrees if you align carefully.

David

I found this pic at rustpuppy.com to help show the reluctor and stator of the General Motors HEI system:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts